Author Topic: Serious price drops...  (Read 2189 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Serious price drops...
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:29 AM »
Amsterdam has some nice shops, some you have to know where they are..

Like bierköenig:-)
I recall walking around in Amsterdam a sunny day in 2004, with my wife. I had tried to order some hardware from a part supplier, but they had no distributor in Norway. They did have one in amsterdam, so I thought that it was a good excuse for me to check out a nice guitarshop while on vacation.

The shop was Muziek de Plug, a small store outside the city centre. What a nice little shop, lots of oddball old instruments. I ended up buying a les paul flattop from '78 (guitar) at a really good price. He had a nice 50's junior that he brought out for me to check out, since I liked gibsons. I did not expect such a nice atmosphere in such a big city..

But when I told him I wanted to order parts from the supplier that claimed he was the main distributor in Holland, he just smiled and said he didn't recall but I was probably right ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »
I bought my Les Paul Bass at De Plug.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »
As of now, SameDayMusic has one new 2014 Thunderbird available (also one used one.)  On first glance, it looks like Woodwind & Brasswind have Gibsons all over the place. But it looks like what they really have are a few blemished/used 2014/2015 SG Standards.

Woodwind & Brasswind is owned by Guitar Center and has a common warehouse with GC, MF and Music 123. And you're right, they don't actually have any new 2015s in stock.

Same Day Music, Zzounds and American Musical are three independent companies that share a common warehouse and inventory. The first two claim to have a new 2015 SG Standard in stock but American Musical doesn't, so I doubt they have anything but a blemished one.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
Woodwind & Brasswind is owned by Guitar Center and has a common warehouse with GC, MF and Music 123. And you're right, they don't actually have any new 2015s in stock.

Same Day Music, Zzounds and American Musical are three independent companies that share a common warehouse and inventory. The first two claim to have a new 2015 SG Standard in stock but American Musical doesn't, so I doubt they have anything but a blemished one.

What SameDayMusic is claiming to have is a new 2014 Thunderbird for $1299 and a "non-new" one for $1489.  The new one is Walnut and the non-new one is heritage cherry.  Whether this is real or if it's like Woodwind and Brasswind who are listing new basses they really don't have, I don't know.  I mean I had to wait for four months to get a bass from Sweetwater while they were telling me it would be available at any time.  And Sweetwater from what I gather is supposed to be one of the more reliable ones. 

Someone had told me quite some time ago to not bother going to Woodwind & Brasswind because they had been bought out by somebody.  But I kept going there anyway because of habit.  Also, it seemed they had a lot of used basses (all they've got now, too,)  but sometimes that's what I'm mostly interested in. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:02 AM »
The price of the 2015 Thunderbird has already been raised back a bit to 1111 euro (was 999)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »
I bought my Les Paul Bass at De Plug.

Sounds like a sex shop. Of course, what wouldn't be in Amsterdam.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »
A hash cafe...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...