Author Topic: Whaddayall think? Dingwall Thunderbird  (Read 8264 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Whaddayall think? Dingwall Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
The slant at the bridge is just a half measure. The bridge may be canted to change the scale length a bit, but the frets are still parallel on an untempered fretboard. Many notes on the neck are still pretty out of tune, notably in lower positions. I've never played a fanned fret bass, but I have wanted to for years ever since I first heard of Dingwall. Ibanez currently is selling a 5 and 6 string model and ESP introduced what will no doubt be a more-budget friendly version.  ...and piano-like tone refers to equal tone across all the strings, not a snarling upper midrange. If "piano like" is too prejudicial, think "harp like."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 11:07:11 PM »
I really don't like the E string tone as well on anything over 34" scale. YMMV.

I'm also happy with linear fret alignment! Not interested in trying a fanned fret bass, but there's nothing wrong with the concept. And from what I've read, it's not that hard to adapt to playing them.

IIRC Ralph Novak's main reason for starting to build them was better tone by having what he called a natural scale length for each separate string. Intonation might be easier, but there's no way to overcome the limitations of equal temperament.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:02 AM »
what is the reasoning behind the pickup placing? surely to get a broad range of tones you want the PU's spread apart?

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:17 AM »
My Vigier passion has dual pickups slammed back at the bridge like that. It makes for a very bright & chime-y sound, at little too much in my opinion.  I end up compensating a lot with the amp/eq  to cut the brightness back and bring out some lows.  I do like the way it looks though for some reason.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
Not entirely (in a perfect sense).  even after saddle adjustment intonation is never perfect everywhere on the neck.

See also these crazy guys (for those players, and I have known a few, were a few cents out of tune ruins their day): http://www.truetemperament.com/ (check out that first fret; don't try bending the D/G string up there).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
NOW, there is nothing new under the son.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
I clicked on that link and briefly thought I was having a stroke.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
I clicked on that link and briefly thought I was having a stroke.

Yikes! I can see why.

It's just not that big a problem to me. Then again, I'm a fan of the old 3-saddle Tele bridge and don't think those newfangled compensated saddles are necessary.  :)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
perfect intonation is meaningless to me, Ill still manage to hit at least 3 wrong notes in a set and nothing is fixing that. :-[

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
perfect intonation is meaningless to me, Ill still manage to hit at least 3 wrong notes in a set and nothing is fixing that. :-[

So true.  If I do THAT well, I'm very happy!  :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 11:00:52 PM »
I like guitars to have a little wobble to them. Perfect intonation doesn't sound like a guitar to me anymore.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »
Moreso than intonation, I'm interested in the tonal and harmonic benefits of individual scale lengths for each string.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Moreso than intonation, I'm interested in the tonal and harmonic benefits of individual scale lengths for each string.

I don't think there's an answer for that other than personal preference

Ralph Novak has an article on his site, a technical lecture he gave to the Guild of American Luthiers. This was before he started marketing his fanned fret guitars. I found it interesting because of the spectrum charts comparing Gibson, PRS and Fender scale lengths (for guitar).

http://www.novaxguitars.com/info/technical.html

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 02:56:26 AM »
I don't think there's an answer for that other than personal preference

Ralph Novak has an article on his site, a technical lecture he gave to the Guild of American Luthiers. This was before he started marketing his fanned fret guitars. I found it interesting because of the spectrum charts comparing Gibson, PRS and Fender scale lengths (for guitar).

http://www.novaxguitars.com/info/technical.html

Thanks for the link, interesting!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
The bass player for Haken was playing a Dingwall, but he jsut switched to a Zon with standard frets.

https://youtu.be/larKRCtgioA?t=2m37s