Author Topic: Gibson Bass Bridge V.3 Question  (Read 4886 times)

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
Gibson Bass Bridge V.3 Question
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »
I've been pretty much a V.1 & V.2 guy all my life. Does anyone have any spare parts or know of a source for threaded intonation adjust screws and bridge pieces for a Gibson Bass V.3 brisge...the big rectangular kind we see on 67-72 Gibson EB-O's, EB-3's and EB-2's.

Interesting note. Gibson made Epiphone Rivoli's at least through 68 (maybe some in 69) and they all seem to have the chrome V.2 two-piece bridges (V.2 bar bridges)

Any help would be appreciated.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Bass Bridge V.3 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
i have one on my sb450,i'll trade it for a Baddass II
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:54 PM »
That's great! I sent you an e-mail this evening (Thursday April 10th)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
I propose that we nickname the V3 bridge (aka tuneomatic) with the more descriptive EVERTILT.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »
i always called it the "harmonica"
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
V1, V2, Peenemunde. I guess Uwe has something to say about this?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:28:58 AM »
I always called them the Turdomatic.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:06:17 AM »
"Evertilt" seems an apt name for Dave's (misguidedly) favorite hardware.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
It wouldn't be an evertilt if it had a separate tailpiece. That's the problem right there. The bridge itself works fine.

Of course you know with a slothead EB-0L or EB-3L there's no room for a separate tailpiece, but the other models could have accommodated one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
The esteemed Herr Moderator's view reminds me of a man advocating a one wheel car with the argument: "The one wheel construction is inherently fine, all it needs is three more, then it will run just fine!" LOL

Fact is the Gibson turd point came without a stringholder and was intended to come without one, a stringholder was never added though Gibson worked with stringholders on their guitars and on the sixties TBird. Even back then people knew (and could see the forces working in practice) that a bass guitar has a pull of 60 pounds and more on the bridge and that it will tilt unless either the strings are anchored somewhere else or the bridge is flat to the body to take forward tip impossible. Gibson closed its eyes to that for 6 long years. To add insult to injury, the V 3 bridge was a step backward as regards both stud anchoring in the body and bridge to stud anchoring, the V 2 bridges have larger, more stable studs placed wider apart and the bar bridge grips the studs with its "forks" in a way that allows less tilt.

Excerpt from a Class Action brief of the Class of Gibson Bridge V 3 harrassed owners versus (1) Gibson Inc, (2) Dave W:

"Comparing the two point/V 3 bridge therefore to stringholder equipped bridges such as the Alembic and the Warwick one misses that these offered a component interplay that prevented forward tilt, which DEFENDANT CONSISTENTLY AND INTENTIONALLY and/or recklessly THOUGHOUT THE PRODUCTION of the two point bridge failed to provide to the public and consumers as Co-Defendant Dave W. knew at all relevant times and - it must be inferred from non-disputed facts -  acquiesced in, if not agreed to ..."

Uwe

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:04:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »
It wouldn't be an evertilt if it had a separate tailpiece. That's the problem right there. The bridge itself works fine.

Of course you know with a slothead EB-0L or EB-3L there's no room for a separate tailpiece, but the other models could have accommodated one.
not true,i had a  Vantage Ripper copy that had a bridge like these but it was also string thru and still tilted.the studs are centered on the bridge,if they were offset maybe it would be better.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
not true,i had a  Vantage Ripper copy that had a bridge like these but it was also string thru and still tilted.the studs are centered on the bridge,if they were offset maybe it would be better.

LMAO! Now there's an apples-to-oranges comparison!

Uwe's right, Gibson never intended these to have a tailpiece. But that doesn't change the fact that a two-point with a tailpiece works: tune-o-matic, 60s T-bird, Alembic etc.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
LMAO! Now there's an apples-to-oranges comparison!

Uwe's right, Gibson never intended these to have a tailpiece. But that doesn't change the fact that a two-point with a tailpiece works: tune-o-matic, 60s T-bird, Alembic etc.

apples schmapples,same exact bridge...plastic saddles and all,but it was a ventura not vantage.

and those listed are way narrower..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:18:53 PM by SKATE RAT »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
apples schmapples,same exact bridge...plastic saddles and all,but it was a ventura not vantage.

You're missing the point. It's the same style bridge, all right, but with no tailpiece. That's why it's an apples to oranges comparison. The direction of applied force acting on the bridge is completely different when it's strung through the body with a 90 degree bend than with a relatively low angle tailpiece screwed to the top.

and those listed are way narrower..

That's not the problem.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »
I must point out that the stud-mounted bridge is not the problem, as far as tiltage, as Uwe has pointed out.  The version one and two of the stud mounted bridges - aka nickel and chrome, aka solid and hollowed out, aka heavy and not-so-heavy - had no tilting problem.  At least the first one for sure, there is some tilting with some of the later versions, but that is more related to a bad match of stud screws with the fork.  But these were essentially modifications of the the 53-56 Les Paul bridge.  When Gibson realized that maybe more than a couple of guitar players were not happy with the close-enough intonation method, they went back to the drawing board and came up with what Dave is wishing they had done for the bass, in that they had a stud anchor and an intonatable bridge, like the Tbird if only they put it on right.  The V3 Evertilt had its major flaw in the way they modified the studs.  I actually can live with the plastic saddles, but the drop-on studs suck a fat one.  In theory, if they had used an allen bolt like a MusicMan bridge, or a two-piece thing like the Tone Pros, there would be no problem at all.  One could use allen bolts on an EB3 I am guessing on most, as the string height adjustment is typically minor enough that you could use a washer to lift it.  So, a bridge anchor is nice, but like a Badass guitar bridge shows, not necessary.

We just need that guy from Hipshot to take care of us.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.