Author Topic: EB-0 Price  (Read 3125 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
EB-0 Price
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »

So.......

While at my local GC to buy a used GK 4x10 Goldline for my at home rehearsal rig I noticed a used Slothead EB-0? (I think?, one big ass Humbucker at the neck) for $899. Is that a bit much for one these?   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
Re: EB-0 Price
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
I think it's good if it's clean and un-molested

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
Everyone seems to be of the belief that they're prone to head-splits...?

That and the fact that I just can't get it into my head - you and T'birds are like Scott and NR's - synonymous...

imho... put the money aside for that RD you've been hankering for... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
That's a very reasonable price if it's unbroken.

As far as I've ever seen, the slotheads aren't any more prone to headstock breaks than in earlier years with the solid headstocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
That Goldline 4x10 sounds pretty nice, but it's heavier than a '59 Buick.  I had one briefly but could never convince myself to move it around.  IIRC it weighed 91 pounds.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
What I read some time back (not here) was about splits at the top of the slots - not issues with the strength of the wood at the neck...

Definitely not the expert here but it's always stuck in my mind - how many owners (past or present) do we have here...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
What I read some time back (not here) was about splits at the top of the slots - not issues with the strength of the wood at the neck...

Definitely not the expert here but it's always stuck in my mind - how many owners (past or present) do we have here...?

Uwe and I, at least. I've seen maybe 20 of them over the years, never saw one with a split slot. Gunshot damage (Uwe's) is another matter.  ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Uwe and I, at least. I've seen maybe 20 of them over the years, never saw one with a split slot. Gunshot damage (Uwe's) is another matter.  ;D

The one I had was broken, and amateurishly repaired, but it was still solid.  That's another one of mine that Mark now has.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
That Goldline 4x10 sounds pretty nice, but it's heavier than a '59 Buick.  I had one briefly but could never convince myself to move it around.  IIRC it weighed 91 pounds.

Got a pretty good deal on it, and it only has to come upstars to the rehearsal room once - thus saving my back from hauling one or the other of my SBX's up to practice with. But yeah, it's a heavy mofo!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
Got a pretty good deal on it, and it only has to come upstars to the rehearsal room once - thus saving my back from hauling one or the other of my SBX's up to practice with. But yeah, it's a heavy mofo!

A perfect use for that one!!  Glad you got a deal on it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
Captcolor (Bruce) (where is he, hasn't posted here in ages!) used to have one where the neck was warped at the front causing intonation issues. Whether that had anything to do with the slothead construction or was just tough luck or bad storage by a pre-owner is anybody's guess. My three slotties are all fine - no breaking and no warpage. I'm no great fan of the look though except that is is another strange Gibson idiosyncracy and hence more desirable among vintage collectors.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:33:52 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »
   Seems like a good price though I don't think they sound as good as the solid headstock ones.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
Tried to post this last night but lost broadband... shortly after Dave's post...

I have no idea where I originally read this (pre interweb days - probably an article in Guitar Player or one of the rags) so did a quick search and found a couple of articles - first one has images (post #33) of what I read about - the second link comments on it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/gibson-eb-bass-slotted-head-worth-more-663448/index2.html

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/86493

Uwe and you (Dave) have handled and know them - I've never touched nor seen one so...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Captcolor (Bruce) (where is he, hasn't posted here in ages!) used to have one where the neck was warped at the front causing intonation issues. Whether that had anything to do with the slothead construction or was just tough luck or bad storage by a pre-owner is anybody's guess. My three slotties are all fine - no breaking and no warpage. I'm no great fan of the look though except that is is another strange Gibson idiosyncracy and hence more desirable among vintage collectors.

He hasn't checked in since late May. Hope he's okay.

I've seen a couple with a headstock twist, no worse than I've seen on some Fenders. Neither had a warped neck, but it could happen if the twist were severe.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:33:35 AM by uwe »

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »

Had my paws on one for a couple of weeks to try it out, It was maybe a '71 with the engraved pickup. I do remember that the wood around the headstock logo had shrunk back until you could see the edges of the MOP (??) block it was carved from.