Author Topic: T-bird pickup ring size?  (Read 1404 times)

hunkaroo

• View Profile
T-bird pickup ring size?
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
I have a 1987 Greco T-bird with what is said to be Gibson chrome pickups. I'm looking to replace the black pickup rings and I'm wondering what size the Gibson originals are.
The pickups on my bass are 39 mm X 92 mm. Is that a "Gibson"-size? They are chrome with two Philips screws.

Any help appreciated!

//Hank

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: T-bird pickup ring size?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:25:01 AM »
I'll betcha a fellow named Dadagoboi will chime in here soon. He is fast becoming an authority on T-Bird pickups and is a person who is rather motivated on the subject. Pay attention to what he has to write. Good luck and welcome to the post. :)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »
You can get some info/new rings here. He made me some custom ones to fit the black plastic Gibson pups a few years back.

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/other_parts.htm#Gibson_Thunderbird_Rings

hunkaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been in contact with both dadagoboi and fretsonthenet. Just wanted to make sure that I've done my homework before taking up their time since they're both setup for making rings for Gibson-sized pickups. Is it possible to tell if my pickups are Gibson originals just by the picture or do I need to take a pic of the back of them too?

/Hank

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:56 AM »

Here's a '76 bezel next to, and on top of a Greco. As you can see the screw holes are in the same place but the size of screw needed and the black underlay are of different dimensions.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Dimensions on the Greco are the same as a vintage TBird 2 hole and an Orville by Gibson TBird.  My rings use #2 Flat Head phillips screws like the originals.  I'm switching to nickel instead of aluminum.

How tall are your pickups?  Genuine  '60's Gibsons are 1/2" (12mm), 70's are 3/4"(19mm)...Orville by Gibson's have ceramic magnets and are 3/4" tall with countersunk covers and use guitar humbucker bobbins, looks like that's what you have.

60's rings have a larger outside radius, inside is the same.

hunkaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
Dimensions on the Greco are the same as a vintage TBird 2 hole and an Orville by Gibson TBird.  My rings use #2 Flat Head phillips screws like the originals.  I'm switching to nickel instead of aluminum.

How tall are your pickups?  Genuine  '60's Gibsons are 1/2" (12mm), 70's are 3/4"(19mm)...Orville by Gibson's have ceramic magnets and are 3/4" tall with countersunk covers and use guitar humbucker bobbins, looks like that's what you have.

60's rings have a larger outside radius, inside is the same.

Sounds great! Then I guess two '76 replicas would be perfect for me! I'm the guy from Sweden who contacted you before Easter.... I'll send you an email right away!

And thanks for all the help, guys! This board is fantastic!

//Hank

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
Hank, let's see more pics of that Greco!  Looks sweet from the somewhat limited view.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks chrome pups with black rings (or the opposite) looks extra cool?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »
All people from Grease should beware of the dark side!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:50:06 AM »
You only stop being afraid of the dark when you start living on it. ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
All people from Grease should beware of the dark side!

Is that the brown side?  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

hunkaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks chrome pups with black rings (or the opposite) looks extra cool?

Well, I kinda like it but I'm also a chrome fetishist... Now I just have to figure out how the hell I am gonna replace those bridge posts.... ;D