Author Topic: T-Bird pups by Mike Lull  (Read 2720 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: T-Bird pups by Mike Lull
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »
Well the new EVH humbucker is going to cost $500 each, so this seems like a bargin! I was told that it's a long process to reproduce his original humbucker, plus he's signing them so thats why they will cost so much. I think these T-bird pickups may be just as hard to create so the price (while high) isn't bad for a boutique pickup. What did it cost for the custom pickups from Duncan? It was around this wasn't it?

yep, I paid $160 for the covers and paid SD $140 for the guts. So, a cool $300 for a vintage TB pup. Over the last 2 years, I've bought 3. At $289, it's reasonable for what Mike Lull is doing IMHO.  If I need one, I'll buy from Mike.  they look great and I'm sure they sound good.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 11:15:54 PM »
Considering what they are I don't think the price is out of line at all. Yeah, they're not cheap. Then again (if they turn out to be what's advertised), you're getting a 1/2" 60's Gibson Thunderbird pickup, with correct cover (made on original tooling). Yes, I know, it's not actually from the 60's. Close enough for me... What would an original in mint condition run you? I've seen one Chandler go for $300 and those were never represented as 60's replicas.

I don't see these as ever having been intended to sell to a large market, but for the few guys that really want that pickup, these just might be the real deal. Once the good Fraulein has hers in hand, we'll know.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:37 AM »
I feel pretty good about having gotten my '60s pickup from a vintage dealer last fall for $125.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »
Please, Let's not forget Tony Carl-Overdriven66 and the HUGE effort he had to go through to make his AWESOME covers!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
I feel pretty good about having gotten my '60s pickup from a vintage dealer last fall for $125.

Boy, he was either a dope or he felt sorry for you!   ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Please, Let's not forget Tony Carl-Overdriven66 and the HUGE effort he had to go through to make his AWESOME covers!!!

Agreed, it was pretty tough to do what he did.  I know after doing the tail pieces what a pain it is to reproduce this old stuff.  All 3 of mine were Tony's covers and they are great for sure.

Also, I might add, SD did a fantastic job installing the 60's era TB innards.  The only problem I had was they misplaced my second order with the 2 covers for something like 6 months!!!!  They did finally locate them (on Seymour's bench, so MJ said)  but MJ was a bit frazzled for quite awhile until they turned up.

The real advantage to Mike's offerings is you don't have to buy a cover, send it off, wait for SD to get around to it,  maybe lose it for a few months, then finally get it back.  A one shot deal is always a nice way to go.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
Plus the covers are stamped from the original dies, now that is cool.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »

Scott,

I think you should be making JAE Fenderbirds.......all the parts are there.  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
WOW!
As soon as someone hears what they sound like, PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!

...I could be in for a set!

TBIRD1958, Thanks for posting the link!!!
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 05:20:09 PM »

I'm due to pick up my bass in about 3 weeks, I'll try to get to our guitarist's studio and record a couple samples for you guys.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...