Author Topic: Two new Fenders. A Mustang and a Bass VI!!!  (Read 11924 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Two new Fenders. A Mustang and a Bass VI!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
I played the VI at practice tonight and it rocked!  I haven't used a pick since 1975!  The guys got a charge out of how it sounded.  It really doesn't resemble a baritone with the heavy gauge strings it sports.  It really sounds like a short scale bass.  It was easy to play and the pick adds a new dimension.  Now I can experiment with the extra strings!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
I played the VI at practice tonight and it rocked!  I haven't used a pick since 1975!  The guys got a charge out of how it sounded.  It really doesn't resemble a baritone with the heavy gauge strings it sports.  It really sounds like a short scale bass.  It was easy to play and the pick adds a new dimension.  Now I can experiment with the extra strings!
Good to hear! I still haven't played my VI reissue in a band context - keep meaning to with my new group...

Have you tried playing it with your fingers? It is possible, just takes some adjustment.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 05:43:29 AM »
Good to hear! I still haven't played my VI reissue in a band context - keep meaning to with my new group...

Have you tried playing it with your fingers? It is possible, just takes some adjustment.

I have tried playing it with my fingers and it wasn't too hard to adjust to the closer string spacing.  I wanted the pick just to see how much more edge I could achieve with my sound and it made a big difference.  Unless I dial up the highs on my amp's EQ, finger picking is always a bit softer and less aggressive sounding.  To be honest, the size and feel of the VI is wonderful and I could easily get hooked on playing it a lot because of its ease and sound.  I will finger pick it some too.  Just gotta practice on it some to get used to the spacing.

I did notice one issue with it last night.  The G-string is quite weak, even when played with a pick.  The other 5 rang out just fine, but I was disappointed with the G.  Maybe that will improve when I move up to the heavier LaBella set when it arrives.  In the meantime, I'm going to raise the pickups on the treble side a little closer to see if that helps.  I had already raised the neck and mid pups to improve the output.  The action needs some more adjusting too.  It's a work in progress.  But, for the money, it's a great little bass!

kenstee

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
You know if you are really GASING for a VI you really owe it to yourself to at least check out the newest Schecter Hellcat VI. This revised model has 3 genuine Seymour Duncan SJAG-1s pups instead of the Duncan-Designed mini-hums on the initial version (they were pretty poor imo.) Fit and Finish as well as the choice of components is top-notch. Separate On/Off switches for each pup. And the sound is fantastic! Importantly, this 30" scale Schecter comes set-up for .095>.025 strings. And the great news is specially manufactured LaBella strings are available for $6.95 (stainless or nickle rounds) and $13.70 for stainless flats - and they are excellent and readily available! http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=hellcat+VI+strings&x=8&y=10 No, these strings do not fit the Pawn Shop VI. One major difference vs. Fender is no tremolo BUT most people don't use them much if at all anyway. And the hardtail really holds a tuning and intonation much better. Unfortunately, the bottom line is we/you are paying a large premium for a Fender decal and headstock these days on many axes. Price? Typically $749 vs. $799 for the Pawn Shop VI (prices can be less if you follow specials and coupons of online retailers).

Schecter Hellcat VI site: http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Hellcat-VI.aspx#

Available in Burst (Rosewood fretboard) or Black (maple fretboard)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:30:01 PM by kenstee »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Good points about the Hellcat.  It is a nice looking bass for the money.  I also liked the look of the Ultra VI.  Really cool concept.  Again, the only thing missing is a white one!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »
Did someone mention "Hellcat"...?  ;D

(welcome)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
I changed out the DA strings for LaBella Bass VI rounds.  I think the G string is brighter.  We'll see at the next practice.  Meanwhile, it's a fun bass to play!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
I'd wanted one for years but it took me to 1990 before I got my first 6-string bass. I find they're great for songwriting; in addition to bass parts you can work out guitar chords too.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
I'd wanted one for years but it took me to 1990 before I got my first 6-string bass. I find they're great for songwriting; in addition to bass parts you can work out guitar chords too.

I am just learning to experiment with it.  A lot of fun to play chords and little triads and such.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Since I can't control myself, I am thinking about installing hotter pups in the center and neck positions.  I'm looking around at the options.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
I know the SD Jaguar pick ups are highly regarded for VIs. I believe that's what's in the newest version of the Hellcat.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
Since I can't control myself, I am thinking about installing hotter pups in the center and neck positions.  I'm looking around at the options.

The word "incorrigible" comes to mind. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
I know the SD Jaguar pick ups are highly regarded for VIs. I believe that's what's in the newest version of the Hellcat.

Yeah, I'm checking those out.  Thanks!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
The word "incorrigible" comes to mind. 

Me?  Not me!   8)