Author Topic: In praise of Baldwin Gretsches - anyone own any?  (Read 3224 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Re: In praise of Baldwin Gretsches - anyone own any?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 01:09:04 PM »
Different magnets have different characteristics and make different results on one certain pickup coil. Same goes for different gauge wiring and turns and how the pickups are physically constructed. Too many parameters which by all means can be used to at least estimate the result before hand, if you're a knowledgeable pickupmaker.

But, no such thing as "ceramic magnets sound too harsh" etc. I think of those endless statements where the strength of the pickup output is all equal to the DC resistance of the coil/coils.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 11:22:32 PM »
Different magnets have different characteristics and make different results on one certain pickup coil. Same goes for different gauge wiring and turns and how the pickups are physically constructed. Too many parameters which by all means can be used to at least estimate the result before hand, if you're a knowledgeable pickupmaker.

But, no such thing as "ceramic magnets sound too harsh" etc. I think of those endless statements where the strength of the pickup output is all equal to the DC resistance of the coil/coils.

You can change the tone by using a different size magnet of the same type. As you said, so many parameters.

The DC resistance of otherwise identical pickups wound with the same wire can be useful for comparing relative output, but that's all.

I'm with you here Dave - but I'm amazed how often I have to discuss this with guitarists in the shop. They ask about how I can age alnico to make it 'sound' like a particular guitar hero on a particular song.... I usually just advice them to drop acid :-\

You can thank Seymour Duncan for the "aged magnets" marketing-speak.

Build a little machine that has lights and sounds but otherwise does nothing. While your customer is watching, pass the pickups under the machine. Take the customer's money for this valuable service. He'll swear he hears improved tone. You'll be hailed as a genius.  :)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »
I'm with you here Dave - but I'm amazed how often I have to discuss this with guitarists in the shop. They ask about how I can age alnico to make it 'sound' like a particular guitar hero on a particular song.... I usually just advice them to drop acid :-\

Do they not realise that the guitar heroes of the '70s were using relatively new gear back then? How quickly does alnico degauss anyway? Beyond that, Tony Iommi was using radgy-spec John Birch pickups, Jimmy Page used more T-tops than PAFs during a given gig, ask anybody how to get their tones and you will get a million unhelpful answers.

I've seen people talk about the quintessential Marshall tone Marc Bolan used on 20th Century Boy... talking about a Les Paul plugged into a solid state HH IC100 amplifier with the 'sustain' switched on. The tone is quite fizzy, brittle sounding, and nothing like a Marshall.

Jerry Garcia claimed that his Dimarzio Super Distortions lost their edge after a few years as the magnets had lost their potency. Today we know this as tinnitus.  :rimshot:

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 10:13:04 PM »
How quickly does alnico degauss anyway?

A couple of hundred years, I think :) If you demagnetize them, you actually have a classic renaissance pickup!

Jerry Garcia claimed that his Dimarzio Super Distortions lost their edge after a few years as the magnets had lost their potency. Today we know this as tinnitus.  :rimshot:

Lack of potency and hearing, that's what's waiting for all of us :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »
Here's what Bill Lawrence had to say about magnets.

Bill Lawrence - Pickupology - Magnets

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »
Speaking of Gretsch and pickups. The Tom Petersson short scale has a very nicely dialed in neck pickup that we've previously said could be a sidewinder mudbucker design. It also blends in better with the bridge pickup better than any vintage Gibson based on this demo. Wonder if they'll ever come down in  price.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
Could be, but I wouldn't assume it's a sidewinder just because of the size. It certainly doesn't sound like a Gibson pickup. The better balance must be at least partly due to the location of the rear pickup, compared to a Gibson with the pickup so close to the bridge.

Street price is $3800 new for a White Falcon variant, and it's made in Japan. I can't see the price coming down.