Author Topic: Welcome to the future  (Read 3343 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the future
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
Medicare for me. Any premium increases come out of SS COLA increases but can't be more than that.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Their "budget" doesn't cover food AT ALL. You buy groceries? Not on their budget.

Our utility started price-gouging about ten years ago and our costs have quadrupled even as their cost to buy power from TVA has been consistent and runs $250 for a small house. It was $60-80 when we first moved in with an older, less efficient heat pump and a slightly smaller water heater. I just can't fathom reasonable rates any more.

Health insurance is the about the same and coverage is lousy, so out-of-pocket costs with my issues about double that.

I can appreciate the idea of thrift, but the fact that corporations actually pretend that their employees can LIVE like this shows just how heartless they really are. The sons of bitches ought to have to live the way they think their employees should.

Since the budget for heating is $0 per month, I suppose someone could take his date to somewhere that had heating if they really wanted to splurge.  Maybe I am misreading this, but I didn't find myself dazzled by their so-called budget, either.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:47:33 AM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
My point, which has been somewhat obscured, is that this country has officially posted a major recognized decline in standard of living. The very idea of something like this coming from a bottom-tier employer and a usuary bank used to be a joke or metaphor. Now, it's acceptable business practice and woe to anyone who suggests that government intervene or the workers themselves organize to try and better their situation. The Supreme Court has ensured that these same people who put out 'suggested living conditions' have a louder legislative voice as a corporation than the workers do as voters thanks "freedom of corporate speech" and suspension of federal investigations into state elections. The US Congress is basically a rubber stamp for whomever has the money to buy the votes and the legal teams to write the legislation for Congress to pretend to debate while the executive branch has busied itself expanding a separate complete shadow government accountable to no one. Meanwhile, corporate stocks and profits have never, not even in the robber baron days, been more valuable, until they stumble in business, at which point, their actions are subsidized from the treasury. Murderers are paroled in seven years or less while people busted for using pot are serving life sentences and the First, Fourth, and Fifth Amendment to the Constitution might as well not exist, but you can always get a job at f***ing McDonald's.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
My point, which has been somewhat obscured, is that this country has officially posted a major recognized decline in standard of living. The very idea of something like this coming from a bottom-tier employer and a usuary bank used to be a joke or metaphor. Now, it's acceptable business practice and woe to anyone who suggests that government intervene or the workers themselves organize to try and better their situation. The Supreme Court has ensured that these same people who put out 'suggested living conditions' have a louder legislative voice as a corporation than the workers do as voters thanks "freedom of corporate speech" and suspension of federal investigations into state elections. The US Congress is basically a rubber stamp for whomever has the money to buy the votes and the legal teams to write the legislation for Congress to pretend to debate while the executive branch has busied itself expanding a separate complete shadow government accountable to no one. Meanwhile, corporate stocks and profits have never, not even in the robber baron days, been more valuable, until they stumble in business, at which point, their actions are subsidized from the treasury. Murderers are paroled in seven years or less while people busted for using pot are serving life sentences and the First, Fourth, and Fifth Amendment to the Constitution might as well not exist, but you can always get a job at f***ing McDonald's.

Your point is crystal-clear to me and I agree with it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
$600 for monthly rent/mortgage?  Who are they kidding (only in Montreal/some small town ).  You can't get anything in Toronto (even the burbs) for less thean $800 (and I am being generous - my Brother was just looking for a place) unless you're willing to live in a frathouse with 10 random douchebags.

I'm totally with Psycho (though the health insurance thing doesn't apply up here.... at least not in the same way - we're still out of pocket for meds, optical and dental unless workplace benefits cover it, but they never cover it 100%).

Also I think they meant for food and clothes (as well as all the other stuff Psycho mentioned) to be included in the $100 'other' catagory - again, lol ($100 is a single week's grocery shop for an average couple at best).

Anyway, what about the current estimate of inflation at 1.x% - that's side-splittingly hilarious.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:26:14 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
Your point is crystal-clear to me and I agree with it. 

Acute clarity here too.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
We get "free" healthcare here but I pay out about £300/€350/$460 a month in what is called "National Insurance", which also covers the pittance my pension will become, and benefits if I became unemployed...
Every working person here pays about 10% to 12% of their earnings to this scheme, which is not voluntary...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...