Author Topic: EBO F for sale in Wales UK...?  (Read 1400 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
EBO F for sale in Wales UK...?
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
I thought an EBO F was the model with the fuzztone built in...?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: EBO F for sale in Wales UK...?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
You're right. That could have been a later one with parts replaced, I suppose, but there's no evidence of it from that photo. I wonder how much is routed out under that nonstandard pickguard?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »
Looks like a Marcus Miller sig EB  8)
Digresion our specialty!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
Wheres the link?

IIRC I saw this a few weeks back (or maybe just one similar) - and it is an EB0F body, but obviously with no original fuzz parts, and this new scratchplate covering the original holes.

I too have such an EB0F. One day when the guts of one comes up there will be an almighty bidding war.

Shame, because the finish looks good on this one.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »
It looks nice, almost to the point of being a refin. The way the back of the headstock looks is what made me suspect refin, the point of one end of the headstock looks sanded round & the finish looks a bit satin like. That being said, I'd love to put the guts from my bass into a body this nice. If this one wasn't across the pond, (with no shipping) (also, it seems to have many new screw holes), I'd be tempted to call the guy. I've been trying to get around to having mine refinished Heritage Cherry, but it keeps ending up on the bottom of my list............... :-\

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
"With modifications by Gibson, being a redesigned Scratchplate, Chrome Overbridge & Chrome Humbucker with heavier pick-up coils.These chrome overbridges allow an almost unique combination of 2 style sounds, giving a noticable tone difference between the forward and rearward of the bridge.By using the forward of bridge position one can play beautifully solid and deep sounds,whilst playing rearward of the overbridge the sounds are of a lighter,sharper more jazzy sound that can produce good harmonics."

Say what? Chrome overbridge? Does he mean the handrest? Does he think that the different tones from playing closer to or further from the bridge have something to do with putting on a chrome handrest?

It may have left the factory as an EB-0F, but with no fuzztone switch now and no mention of the fuzztone ever having been there, I doubt it. He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. The chrome covered pickup doesn't have "heavier coils" either.

Pictures can be misleading but I agree that it's probably a refin in something other than nitro. You don't "refresh" a nitro finish with linseed oil, which is a finish itself.

Gibson would have done these modifications? That hideous pickguard and that nonstandard thumbrest? Color me skeptical.