Author Topic: New Höfner 500/8 Verythin  (Read 5553 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
New Höfner 500/8 Verythin
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:00:38 AM »
Höfner comes with a second Verythin. A more 'modern' version, which reminds me a bit of the Hagstrom. It's long scale, bass tuners, a tune-o-matic style bridge and two humbuckers, one more to the middle. I like it!

Pics in this link from my site:

http://www.debassist.nl/nieuws/artikel/3-15382/hfner-5008-verythin

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: New Höfner 500/8 Verythin
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
Now that is proper pickup placement  :mrgreen:
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
Apparently not modern enough to include proper intonation if that bridge an indication.  I look forward to being proved wrong.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »
Not much fore/aft adjustment room for a bridge that doesn't appear to be angled.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:07:18 AM »
Hófner and intonation? That's like Gibson and Quality Control, Germans and Humour, Basvarken and a Fender, ...

I guess they thought about it. Will ask.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »

Knowing the guy who designed it, I'm sure it will be okay.

The designer:

There's more room than on a violin bass  :) It's difficult from the photo to gauge just how big the bridge is.

Me:

Okay, cool! On a violin bass, of course you can move the whole bridge:)

Designer:

Well, true but if you place it in the right place first then it's OK. Anyway, we'll check again just in case.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
Nice, but personally I'd rather have my Höfners as full hollowbodies, without a center block that IMHO kills the essence of a hollowbody bass (or guitar, for that matter). I tried a 500/1 Contemporary Series (CT) with a sustain block, it's nowhere near a "real" Höfner. But I'm in the minority. Most bass players will prefer a 34" scale and a sustain block to reduce feedback.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »
They have both now! ;)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
I can just imagine how much they're going to be asking for this. The price of a new 500/1v64 is now $4,000.00 + tax in this country which is an amount that I would never pay for one especially when I can remember paying $235.00 back in the day for a new one. As much as I might love to have one of the new 500/8 long scale Verythin basses, I can't see it happening. I'll stay with my semi-acoustic Hagstrom Concord.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
I can just imagine how much they're going to be asking for this. The price of a new 500/1v64 is now $4,000.00 + tax in this country which is an amount that I would never pay for one especially when I can remember paying $235.00 back in the day for a new one. As much as I might love to have one of the new 500/8 long scale Verythin basses, I can't see it happening. I'll stay with my semi-acoustic Hagstrom Concord.

TD

I understand all too well. You would have to compare it to other European-made instruments today and forget the past in order to justify the cost, assuming you had the money to spend.

Willie's in St. Paul had two Clubs in custom color finishes at $3995, I think they've been there more than a year, they were both there when I stopped by a couple of months ago. One is still on their website, and it wouldn't surprise me if the other one is still there too since they don't list everything.

4K for a Club? Nope.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
The other Verythin Bass is around 700 euros in The Netherlands, like al the other HCT basses, which are great. Great value for money. Guess this Verythin will be around the same price.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
The other Verythin Bass is around 700 euros in The Netherlands, like al the other HCT basses, which are great. Great value for money. Guess this Verythin will be around the same price.

Oops, since you didn't say it was an import, I figured this new one was German-made.

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
Oops, since you didn't say it was an import, I figured this new one was German-made.

Dave, the Hofner news letter didn't say where the 500/8 is going to be made, but it did lead one to believe that it was to be German made. All of the other models announced were German, so I assume this one will be to. There was no mention of it being a Contemporary Series instrument as you can see in the announcement below that Nick Wass sent out. You would have thought that they would have mentioned it if it was one.

"Verythin Longscale Bass

New for 2016 is the Verythin 500/8 longscale bass. With a 34" scale length (instead of the usual 30" as found on the 500/7 model) this offers those bass players used to longscale bass the opportunity to play a great semi-acoustic instrument.

This model features a spruce centre block, twin humbucking pickups, stop tailpiece and fully adjustable bridge, conical string spacing. Two tone and two volume controls. Finish is a pleasing cherry sunburst.

This is due to be in stores in Europe around April while it is already available in the USA and Japan."

I'll consider it as being German made until it's announced otherwise.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »
It looks like something produced in the east. Factories there make tons of basses with similar specs. German-made Höfners have traditional fretboard overhangs. Chinese Höfners don't. The hardware looks generic - if I showed you just the hardware you'd never guess it's for a Höfner. For German pricing I'd expect at least a traditional finish and bound f-holes. The only Höfner features I see are the headstock dagger inlay and super-shallow body. Lack of Höfner pickups is very disappointing, they are a major part of the unique sound.

I will be very surprised if these were made in Germany.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:06:35 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »
I wasn't aware of the differences since I've never really taken a close look at the Chinese Höfners. But good point about those pickups. Not what you would expect on a German Höfner.