Author Topic: NBD Klira 162  (Read 5483 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD Klira 162
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
      I couldn't resist it, this makes number 4. According to TD she is a transition model, the set neck with the humbuckers is rather rare, plus the Hofner like headstock and two piece back made this bass irresistible. I paid much less than what is shown, the seller was very gracious and called me to tell me the action was a bit high as the neck pickup can not go lower. I ended up paying $400, I'm a pretty happy camper. ;D http://www.ebay.com/itm/111714591472?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: NBD Klira 162
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
If you can adjust the action to your liking, $400 is a really good deal.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:09:22 AM »
 The bridge pickup surround was toast bought some very nice repros from Frets On The Net, they just arrived yesterday. Pics soon!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
the action was a bit high as the neck pickup can not go lower
It will probably need a neck reset like every other old set-neck Höfner. I had it done on both of mine ('64 Senator and '60 500/3) when the action was mile high, and both play lovely low. Just make sure you take it to a violin maker who knows dovetail joints and hide glue, not a guitar luthier.

Congrats on another cool bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
I didn't see this back in July.. nice score!  It looks beautiful.

Can't beat that kinda price, given what 500/1s are fetching nowadays.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:41:47 PM »
Good to hear that Frets On The Net is still around.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »
  Crap trying to post pics from my phone the files are to big. guess I'll have to break out the camera and do the photo bucket thing.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 07:44:48 AM »
Pictures as promised! I really love these basses! Check out the repro bridge pickup ring from Frets on the Net!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
 A few more!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »
  The "Klira" on the headstock was hand painted on it long ago, I may remove it or just leave it, haven't decided yet. The sunburst has red in it something I have not seen in Kliras they usually go from yellow to brown. The neck heel is very Hofner like thought it does have a rather large wood screw holding things together. I am not sure if the joint is glued or not. The G string frets out on the pickup on the extreme upper register, the pickup is as low as it can go so either I have to change the neck angle or raise the bridge. At the moment I'm not to bothered by it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »
Maybe the red means it wasn't exposed to much sunlight?  My old Univox has a lot of red in the burst, and I know it was a closet queen.

Looks really nice, and super condition for an instrument of its age.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
  That is true reds fade with exposure to sunlight. But my first Klira bought in 71-72 is yellow-brown as are two others I own and most of the ones I see locally or online. So I don't think my others have faded just that Klira at one point dabbled with red in it's sunburst. I bet TD will have more info.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
I crown thee King of the Kliras, with all of the rights and responsibilities that go with that honor.  That is one beautiful bass and worth so much more than they go for.  Congrats.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »
All Hail King Klira of Thunder-God... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 01:54:01 PM »
You're right about the "Klira" logo on the headstock Scott, it's been added onto the bass by a previous owner. The logo should be like this.

You're also correct about Klira finishes, they tend to be brownish yellow and lack much if any red. You'll find the neck on your bass is permanently glued. The purpose of the single bolt is to support the neck/body joint. The Twen Star 356 has 4 bolts and a steel neck plate which eliminates the need for glue in that model.

If you decide to remove the painted Klira logo on the headstock of your bass, I have a NOS Klira truss rod cover with the Klira logo on it available.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!