Author Topic: My wandering eye pauses again...  (Read 5491 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
My wandering eye pauses again...
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »
...and alights on this Hagstrom.  Not many reviews of these online, but the pickup setup looks interesting and I like the overall look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220969515668&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:23:51 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: My wandering eye payses again...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
I've seen the Chinese Hagstrom guitars in person, not the basses. The workmanship looked quite good. Not really reissues although some (like this) do have the original body shapes.

rahock

• View Profile
Re: My wandering eye payses again...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
I got rid of my Hagstrom 8 string from the about 1970 a few years ago and it was a very well made instrument . I played a couple of original 70s era basses from Hagstrom including one like that. I really liked their solid body basses a lot and they were pretty cheap too. The H thing in the neck is great, you can use those suckers for a pry bar and not effect them. I don't know why they weren't more popular. Never tried any of the new RIs.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: My wandering eye pauses again...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm also a sucker for white and tort.   :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »
I reviewed the 8-string version of this one and the semisolid viking. Nice basses with a lot of pick up switching possibilities. Bert H, also here sometimes, bought te eightstring lately. He can tell more I guess...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
Just bought it.  $267 shipped was too tempting, and I actually have the cash in hand from selling other basses.

Those pickups are supposed to be connected to a six-way switch with a number of sound possibilities.  If I don't like it, I'll turn it and shouldn't get hurt much.  Due to the loose screw their price was about $200 below the normal street price.

I will provide a report.  It has a number of things to recommend it with blade pickups, 6-position switching and short scale.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:58:09 AM by Pilgrim »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:13:02 AM »
I've got a brochure from when I bought my Hagstrom 8 string in 70 -71 and the price tag on that bass was $185. The 8 String was a whopping $200.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:29 AM »
I remember writing my first tuition check as a freshman in 1968.  15 credit hours cost me $176.

That won't buy textbooks today.  The matching 15-hour tuition at Colorado State U where I work is $3153.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
in my mispent youth was sent to a private catholic military school. :P  back then in the 60's tuition was 450 bucks a year. today it is over 16K. per year.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »
In 1965 I had a scholarship that covered my out-of-state tuition so I paid the in-state rate of $100 per semester instead of $400. Today the annual total is $5790 in-state, $16,796 for non-residents.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
Another comparo.....

My 1966 GTO cost $3600 brand new. I can't find an online quotation, but I'm confident the 2000-2006 GTOs went for more than $30K.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
in my mispent youth was sent to a private catholic military school. :P  back then in the 60's tuition was 450 bucks a year. today it is over 16K. per year.

I went to a Catholic school 1st - part of 5th grade. Monetarily I have no idea what it cost, but it sure cost me in a lot of other ways.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
catholic school can mess you up in more ways than just the sex scandal thing. :sad: :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:32 AM »
catholic school can mess you up in more ways than just the sex scandal thing. :sad: :rolleyes:

Catholic Military School , isn't that where they trained guys to fight in the Crusades back when we were kids ;)
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:52 AM »
Catholic Military School , isn't that where they trained guys to fight in the Crusades back when we were kids ;)
Rick

Somebody had to run the Spanish Inquisition.