Author Topic: Need pix of the brothers!  (Read 139993 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Need pix of the brothers!
« Reply #630 on: September 23, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »
I had the first edition but even beforen then I knew how the Eagles and Deep Purple were "related". Via the James Gang of course.

It probably helped to set me on the track of following musician's career through various bands. I'm probably the only person on earth that owns all Silverhead, Detective and Chequered Past CDs and files them all with the solo albums of Michael des Barres (plus a Power Station sampler that features one live track with him when he stepped in for Robert Palmer who hated touring). I'm unashamedly weird.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 24, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
We read the same rags at similar times... used to keep a lot of them... like linking DP and Hendrix, via Spirit...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 24, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »
With all due respect wellREDman, you're even younger than me (and supposedly, well red, as opposed to well read which is something entirely more repectable ;P ... wait, I wonder if that means the same thing over there) and the term was coined before both our births (which in your case was itself "definitely after punk," n'est pas? so you could not have heard it earlier); inarguably the meaning drifted a bit over time.
I was a teenager (and punk) in the mid 80's when punk was  not quite dead, but definitely on it's back and twitching.

As it was used in the punk/alternative scene in the south of England  back then, New Wave was anything that to a straight would seem like punk, but to a "true" punk would seem like pop. but this was a time when all labels and subculture affiliation was an intense  discussion point. there was a running joke amongst us that the only way to tell a true goth was someone who would declare"I am not a Goth! " when described as such.

the WellREDman moniker was my VJ name from a period in the late 90's when in the rave scene it was de rigeur to perform under a pseudonym, and was a play on the fact that I both read a lot and had (then) scarlet hair

Like Uwe I was an avid devourer of the NME, if a little later then him, so the Pet Frame charts are a nice trip down memory lane for me too 

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 24, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
I had the good fortune to live round the corner from NME's house photog Pennie Smith so managed to get a number of snaps and snapping tips from her... she still lives there (at least did when I moved north a year ago) and still has a second-hand book shop in the same place too...
Never understood why she never went into the print market though...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »
This is where I got introduced to what ultimately became punk, without actually hearing any of it. I went out and bought the first Ramones album because Rock Scene loved them. The first time I played it, I thought it was some kind of cruel joke. Not much has changed.
http://www.rockscenester.com
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
This is where I got introduced to what ultimately became punk, without actually hearing any of it. I went out and bought the first Ramones album because Rock Scene loved them. The first time I played it, I thought it was some kind of cruel joke. Not much has changed.
http://www.rockscenester.com

My exact feelings when I got Pink Floyd's "The Wall". When I first listened to it after I have bought it I thought "way to go stupid, you throw your money for this boring thing". Since then I have changed my mind, but still its not my no1 from them. This place belongs to "Animals", their "punk" album as I like to say.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
More often than not, I've been disappointed whenever I've bought an album based on a review. Today you can almost always hear samples first.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2016, 11:28:08 PM »
I've struggled to find something "new" I'd like to buy in recent years... back-catalogue top-ups from time to time but not much else to be honest...
Re The Wall... Comfortably Numb is about the only thing I rate of that... nice to see a rack of Hiwatts on a stage... prob DR103s's... ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 26, 2016, 04:53:18 AM »
I really liked the first Ramones album, I was surprised, yet pleased how melodic and poppy (rather than hard and dark) it was (mainly thanks to Joey's smooth pop voice + all their songs being based on major rather than minor keys), I associated it with the early Beach Boys in fact - "all of the songs sound the same, but they have an immediately recognizable sound, and if you like one song, you like them all".  :mrgreen: That, of course, isn't a bad thing in my book or I wouldn't here be waving the Status Quo flag now and then.

To this day I find "The Wall" bloated - Pink Floyd goes Meat Loaf  :) -, I was a "Wish you were here" (the album) guy (the krautrock tranquility of it), but in the last ten years or so, "Animals" has really climbed up the ladder with me. I'm actually seeing Gilmour this week at the RAH and we have good seats too. I am blighted with a wife who thinks that David Gilmour is the best-singing, best guitar-playing, most handsome man on earth.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:39:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 26, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »
I am blighted with a wife who thinks that David Gilmour is the best-singing, best guitar-playing, most handsome man on earth.  :-\

I know the feeling, my wife thinks the same. But at least its Gilmour and not some crap "artist" from the top10.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #640 on: September 26, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Heh @ wives with Gilmour crushes (areound here, it might be another Gilmour the former captain of our hockey team).  For mine it was Bowie, which I can hardly argue with.

Also super thanks for that link Lowend1.  Thats a great resource and I love the interface.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 26, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
Gilmour...? Nah... Jackie might trade me in for Alan Jackson though... :mrgreen:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 19, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
Argh...I'll fix this post when my photobucket decides to cooperate..

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 11, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »
First time out for a full set since '09... not the greatest pics as lifted from FB...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 11, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »
Good one . Its nice to see your fretless R.D. roaming in the wild .
Louder bass!.