Author Topic: shipping overseas.  (Read 660 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
shipping overseas.
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »
Looks like i got a buyer for my rivoli.  He is in Germany  .  so what is best  - safest and reasonable way to ship a bass to germany...???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: shipping overseas.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
I've always had good results using USPS and it'll get there quickly. The limit to Germany is 108" combined dimensions, but a regular sized bass shipping box should just make it. If you have the measurements of your shipping box you can check here: http://postcalc.usps.gov/ 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
I agree on USPS.  The "standard bass box" is 50 x 21 x 7=106.  My recent '67 EB2 in HSC fit in one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
USPS is cheapest, takes longest and you have to pick it up at the customs office in Germany (and pay befor you can take it home). But it gets there.

Shipping via UPS or FedEx is quicker (days rather than weeks), more expensive (x3) and they take care of the customs stuff for you and then deliver, charging you for the customs payment they made. There is no avoiding customs either way and it is about 21% of the value. An invoice naming the price of the bass and the shipping costs separately is helpful as you otherwise pay 21% of the aggregate amount.

I havn't had one bad experience with USPS, UPS or FedEx and I've shipped more than a hundred basses at least.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...