Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

My Fenders

<< < (3/5) > >>

eb2:
It is a long story that I went into on one of my pit posts in the past.  The short version is I was working out of the country, so I left them with a relative in a place that I thought was safe and I got hit.  I had taken my Fenders with me, as they tend to be things you can always get parts and strings for where ever you are.  So as luck would have it, they are still with me.

But you should not really be terrified of it.  That is something I did figure out and adjust to.  Sh!t happens.  When you buy vintage stuff, and build an either extensive or modest collection, enjoy it.  None of us can keep everything forever, and in a way yapping about them on line is healthier in the long run.  That is my 2 cents worth of bass philosophy for the day.

Dave W:
Well said. It's great having stuff and enjoying it (and yapping about it online) and you wouldn't want to lose your possessions, but there's more to life than that.

Muzikman7:
I've played in the area a number of years and a lot of people know my basses, so I'm not too concerned about theft. I've taken pictures of everything and on the back I have serial numbers and a brief description of each bass.

eb2:
a lot of people know my basses, so I'm not too concerned about theft. I've taken pictures of everything and on the back I have serial numbers and a brief description of each bass

Not being terrified is good, but I think that is a stretch of faith.  Doing all that AND insuring them will cover your loss, if that ever happens.  I appreciate that a walk-in vintage instrument will probably get the radar going off if you are well-known in your area.  But I strongly advise insurance.  It is the only way to get some compensation if something happens, especially theft.  In every shady part of the world there are guys who let it be known that they buy guitars - that is reality today.  They love vintage Fenders, and they know how to swap parts, especially neck plates, and make things disappear from a police report perspective.  And there are lots of well-heeled buyers who are happy to not ask questions.  So chances are that if your instrument gets snagged it probably will not go to a used/vintage dealer, but it may be getting dragged to pawn shops in your area, and an honest pawnbroker (think about that) will call a cop.  Or they will go hang somewhere and ask who buys music stuff, and get an answer.  But the reality is it will be several states or countries away from you within days, and probably transformed.

I first heard of pulling Fender neck plates and pots from Jaguars/Coronados/Duosonics/etc, and fixing Strats, Teles, Jazzes with them, about 20 years ago from a pawnbroker.  Food for thought, but again I talk too much on the down side.  More pics! 

uwe:
You'll treat this posting discreetly, right?  :-[ :-[ :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version