Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

A mere 50 years of misunderstanding

<< < (3/4) > >>

FrankieTbird:

Most standby switches are set up to cut off the hi-voltage supply to the tubes; the low-voltage to the heaters/filaments remains so that the tubes stay warmed up.  Turning off the power switch is the same as unplugging the amp, the circuit sees no voltage at all.

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: FrankieTbird on July 03, 2017, 08:46:15 AM ---Most standby switches are set up to cut off the hi-voltage supply to the tubes; the low-voltage to the heaters/filaments remains so that the tubes stay warmed up.  Turning off the power switch is the same as unplugging the amp, the circuit sees no voltage at all.

--- End quote ---

So if that's the case, when taking a break, the Power switch should be left on (up) and the Standby switch should be off (down). That will leave the low voltage /heaters/filaments on, but kill the high power side.

Glad to have some clarity on this after so many years! I did indeed have it backwards.

Psycho Bass Guy:

--- Quote from: Pilgrim on July 03, 2017, 02:54:02 PM ---So if that's the case, when taking a break, the Power switch should be left on (up) and the Standby switch should be off (down). That will leave the low voltage /heaters/filaments on, but kill the high power side.
--- End quote ---

Yes. Standby is more controversial among guitarists who tend to elevate every part of the signal chain except practice to near-religious icon status. Most bass amps made in the past 60 years already have one and need it and it should be used as described in the above quote. I've seen it recommended to never put the amp in standby once it has been in use already (ie- a set break) but I disagree.

Pilgrim:
Thanks, PBG. I've always tried to respect heat up/cooldown cycles as an inherent maintenance item in using tubes, so it's comforting to me to finally get this sorted out. 

But I've also used a lot of tube gear in my life (as have all of us with grey hair). I don't find tubes to be as vulnerable as many of the younger set think they are. Granted they're not something you toss around like baseballs, but I've worked with enough tube equipment to feel that all they require is reasonable handling. IMO that includes respecting heat/cool periods.

Psycho Bass Guy:
Thank Aspen Pittman's marketing of Groove Tubes in its early days for the ideas the kids have about tube life.  Between his and Mesa Boogie's asinine suggestion that tubes barely last six months (convenient when you sell them, no?) the modern myth about tube life exists. In the early days of Chinese and Russian imported audio tubes when dealers were selling REJECT tubes from said countries, caution was more in order, but making tubes is not rocket science and nowadays modern tubes equal the sound and robustness of nearly anything from the past. The most dangerous thing for tubes outside of vibration and physical shock is very rapid cooling of the envelopes, which will shatter them, but you really have to try to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version