Author Topic: Mike Nesmith  (Read 654 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Mike Nesmith
« on: December 10, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »
Most of you have already heard by now.

Monkees singer Michael Nesmith dead at 78: 'I've lost a dear friend and partner'

His most famous non-Monkees composition

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Mike Nesmith
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 02:04:48 AM »
I heard that Michael Nesmith was really impressed with the way Linda Ronstadt performed "Different Drum" and it did seem perfect for her.  I don't know what her career would have been without it, even if Nesmith didn't actually write it specifically for her.  She made it her own and he recognized that. 

The Monkees and the JHE had toured together briefly, until it was realized that it really wasn't a good idea to have someone on stage such as Hendrix with teenyboppers being the primary audience.  I think most people know this story.  What may not be so well known is the story of Nesmith and Hendrix having a brief encounter on an elevator or somewhere shortly before Hendrix died.  Hendrix at that point was feeling downcast, uncertain of himself, etc.  Nesmith said something to the effect that "You invented an entire genre of music!" 

The Monkees were unique.  Too often people don't give them enough credit.  RIP, Michael Nesmith
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
R.I.P Mike

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
  The Monkees were a hit machine and a influence for many a fledgling rocker in the 60's. While most of their material was written by outside writers and tracks recorded by studio musicians they delivered a lot of memorable vocal performances and were more competent musicians than most gave them credit for. It couldn't have been a easy path. Rest in peace Mike thanks for all the music.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »
Wow... rip...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 08:19:31 AM »
My sisters had a bunch of Monkees singles, and I watched reruns of the show all the time as a kid. Mike was the cool one. RIP

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 09:14:39 PM »
Good man, not a Grunger either.

I loved that show as a kid.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 02:23:54 AM »
RIP Mike. And Linda made that song.