Author Topic: Led Purple?  (Read 4683 times)

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Led Purple?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
Good point Nofi but at the time, DP was going great and could get by with a lot like LZ did. One of the most original bands I ran across was Its A Beautuful Day (because I was into violin/rock at the time) and The Flock. Neither of which had the success DP or LZ had but I think IABD had one that went pretty high on the charts for a little while. I remember it got air time anyway.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
What else is new?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Purple never made a secret that Bombay Calling spawned Child in Time, even at the time. Zep stole and tried to hide the truth, had to be dragged to court for the obvious etc. DP, otoh, were gentlemen or at least tongue in cheek about the whole thing. But It's a Beautiful Day even more so:

When DP were recording In Rock in 69 they all heard that It's a Beautiful Day album 24/7. The whole band loved it. Then one day Jon Lord starts jamming the song in the studio on Hammond, Gillan fools around with it, they slow it down ... The rest is history.

So they send the guys from It's a Beautiful Day a copy of the finished In Rock LP, "in case you haven't heard ...". And the guys from It's a Beautiful Day write back in good humor and say "We heard alright and you just wait for it!!!".

So what happens? No litigation, but rather the next It's a Beautiful Day release features a song which - uncredited - is a carbon copy of Deep Purple's instrumental Wring that Neck/Hard Road. Roger Glover: "I almost fell over laughing when I heard that, It's a Beautiful Day were real sports about it".

The stolen melody starts at 1.24:

It's a Beautiful Day pay homage/get their own back at 0.35:

There is a lesson to be learned here. The whole world could be a better place if people acted like IABD and DP. And as we've mentioned sports in the above text: You don't always have to smash other people's toy cars either.

That said, there is no denying that, commercially, DP drew more from Child in Time than IABD from Don & Dewey. CIT became Gillan's vocal-artistic calling card and that organ intro which note for note copied IABD's version became signature Lord in the ears of DP fans. For decades it was a part of their set until Gillan refused to sing it anymore because he could no longer reach the high screaming parts of the original version yet did not want it transposed either (actually a bone of contention which in part led to Blackmore's departure in the early nineties because he demanded the song to remain in DP's set and Gillan refused). As such IABD would have surely had a case to go after DP, yet didn't. Pretty much unthinkable in this day and age.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:44:53 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:54 AM »
Deep Purple never ever stole from other people, serious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkg0xJj2A4w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUapfM5EEM0&feature=related

But in all three cases Blackmore was upfront about it.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:53:12 AM by uwe »

Chaser001

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »
Listening to "Lazy" by Deep Purple really brings back memories.  It was my sister's favorite song by them and she must have played it hundreds of times when we were growing up.  It isn't my favorite Deep Purple song, but it's good. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Hey, half the rock of the 60's was taken from old blues artists, and that continues to this day.  The most obvious is "Crossroads", but Robert Johnson wasn't around to argue about it. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
I think the Gershwin swipe of Burn is the most interesting one. Jimmy Page had the nerve to steal from people whose parents and grandparents had still been slaves, but Blackmore at least had the style to do it from Gershwin. And he took a modern classical melody, turned it from a major into a minor key and centered it as the behemoth riff of what was a prototype for later heavy metal. Some inspiration there. Led Zep just took those blues riffs and played them louder. Christmas is over, I don't have to say positive things about them anymore. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:11:26 PM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
 I never thought much of DP Mk III. That clip of Burn changed my mind. Best use of a P bass I have seen in a very long time. What is he running those bins with ? Hiwatts or Marshalls?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
 Looking closer looks like Hiwatts with the logos blacked out. The volume must be fantastic! You can hear the whole notes in the breaks just swell with signal coming off the bins.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
My favorite DP tunes to play were always Lazy, Burn and You fool no one/Mule. great basslines will hella lotta energy. Very strong core lines with just enough room for a bit of freedom of expression.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
My favorite DP tunes to play were always Lazy, Burn and You fool no one/Mule. great basslines will hella lotta energy. Very strong core lines with just enough room for a bit of freedom of expression.

Burn and Fireball have always been my favorite albums from them.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
 Makes even me want to run out and buy a 70's P bass! Oh wait I already have one, phew that was a close call!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
Behave...! (fat chance ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
Makes even me want to run out and buy a 70's P bass! Oh wait I already have one, phew that was a close call!

What about the Ric for Lazy Scott?
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
got the ric angle covered 4001 C64  ;D