Author Topic: Meet Miss Colorado, Homeless Beauty Queen  (Read 1398 times)

Chaser001

Meet Miss Colorado, Homeless Beauty Queen
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41778312/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/

Quite a poignant thing to see, especially the part where she describes the sheriff coming to evict her.  My heart goes out to this person.  Sadly though, most others in her position will receive no publicity at all. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Miss Colorado, Homeless Beauty Queen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »
As long as she is for world peace and likes animals everything will be alright.  8)

Seriously, I don't make a judgement about someone losing a home. I think there are more stable and in the long run more rewarding careers for a young woman than that of a beauty queen but good luck to her.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
She should have no trouble finding homes to stay at every night.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
depressing story    :sad:
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
Sad about her parents but there is always the other side of the story:

The top 3 comments below this article were as follows when I visited the site.

This story makes me sick. Blair attended the Art Institute of Colorado where it is over $45,000 a year to attend and has one of the nation’s top placement programs for careers. When she was featured on the Colorado news it showed her working on a $2800.00 Mac computer. On a normal day when Blair is around town you will see her wearing $300.00 boots, new hair extensions and top notch clothing. Most 23 year olds are out working, paying rent and trying their hardest to get where they want to be. Blair for the past 4 years has competed both in the Miss Colorado America and Miss Colorado USA pageant each year. Each pageant has an entry fee of nearly a thousand dollars. Why was she competing for 2 pageants a year when she could have been paying her rent? If you were to ask many former Miss Colorado’s I bet you they would say it’s a shame that a girl like Blair is using her title to get handouts when most of them worked hard to pay for things while representing their state. Miss Colorado USA 2008 is an entrepreneur and almost lost her clothing store that she started due to hard times during her reign and yet she didn’t use her title to get her a handout. Miss Colorado 2009 was a broke working college student who went into debt to make her way to Miss USA, Miss Colorado USA 2007 was a full time student who managed to work, volunteer and pay her way to Miss USA, Miss Colorado 2010 comes from a low income farm family and did everything she could to get sponsors to help her to Miss USA. At 23 you are an adult, making the choice to pay rent instead of playing is the responsible choice.

As much as this is a tragic story, I think the heading of "Homeless Beauty Queen" is a little misleading. Yes, they were evicted from their home and that is a tragedy, but when it comes to myself, maybe I have a different idea of what being homeless is. I spent eight years being "homeless". I slept on the streets, and in shelters and went hungry. That is homeless! This young lady is merely displaced.

Owners can not JUST EVICT someone right on the spot...she knew this was coming...she could have had her things packed and ready to go....so that her whole life wasnt thrown into trash bags...
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
I think she had other priorities than earning money at the supermarket to pay rent. Whether beauty pageants are the right thing to prioritise in your life is another matter.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »
Sad about her parents but there is always the other side of the story:

The top 3 comments below this article were as follows when I visited the site.

This story makes me sick. Blair attended the Art Institute of Colorado where it is over $45,000 a year to attend and has one of the nation’s top placement programs for careers. When she was featured on the Colorado news it showed her working on a $2800.00 Mac computer. On a normal day when Blair is around town you will see her wearing $300.00 boots, new hair extensions and top notch clothing. Most 23 year olds are out working, paying rent and trying their hardest to get where they want to be. Blair for the past 4 years has competed both in the Miss Colorado America and Miss Colorado USA pageant each year. Each pageant has an entry fee of nearly a thousand dollars. Why was she competing for 2 pageants a year when she could have been paying her rent? If you were to ask many former Miss Colorado’s I bet you they would say it’s a shame that a girl like Blair is using her title to get handouts when most of them worked hard to pay for things while representing their state. Miss Colorado USA 2008 is an entrepreneur and almost lost her clothing store that she started due to hard times during her reign and yet she didn’t use her title to get her a handout. Miss Colorado 2009 was a broke working college student who went into debt to make her way to Miss USA, Miss Colorado USA 2007 was a full time student who managed to work, volunteer and pay her way to Miss USA, Miss Colorado 2010 comes from a low income farm family and did everything she could to get sponsors to help her to Miss USA. At 23 you are an adult, making the choice to pay rent instead of playing is the responsible choice.

As much as this is a tragic story, I think the heading of "Homeless Beauty Queen" is a little misleading. Yes, they were evicted from their home and that is a tragedy, but when it comes to myself, maybe I have a different idea of what being homeless is. I spent eight years being "homeless". I slept on the streets, and in shelters and went hungry. That is homeless! This young lady is merely displaced.

Owners can not JUST EVICT someone right on the spot...she knew this was coming...she could have had her things packed and ready to go....so that her whole life wasnt thrown into trash bags...

If you'll read down, there is another post which refutes much of that.  The art institute isn't $45,000 a year, but is actually $23,000.  Many people who attend take out student loans.  As for the expensive clothes, Miss Colorado is working at Saks, and that enables her to get nice clothes very cheaply.  Also, it is obvious the girl didn't know they were being evicted.  Her mother had to have known, but was probably living in denial about it.  She obviously hadn't told the daughter.  Some people commenting on the site seem to think Miss Colorado isn't even working.  She is, in fact, working full-time, but the store where she is working is going out of business.  She and her mother are staying with friends.  Technically, they are homeless.  However, I wouldn't compare that to actual people living on the streets with no one to help them.  As for the entry fees, I am not sure if she had to pay all that since often contestants find someone to sponsor them.  My main problem with this story is that Miss Colorado was only given two hours to vacate her house.  Now I realize that was really her mother's fault for not telling her they were being evicted. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

This story makes me sick. Blair attended the Art Institute of Colorado where it is over $45,000 a year to attend and has one of the nation’s top placement programs for careers. When she was featured on the Colorado news it showed her working on a $2800.00 Mac computer. On a normal day when Blair is around town you will see her wearing $300.00 boots, new hair extensions and top notch clothing. (Blah, blah, blah...)

This kind of commentary makes me vaguely sick.  The massive number of assumptions about what this young lady should do, and what she should not do (in addition to the factual errors) and the pervasive air of moral superiority and looking down on her for participating in pageants all add up to a shoot-from the hip, holier-than thou, "get out there and flip burgers" mentality.  The writer's sneers don't impress me...and facts are clearly of no concern to them.

BTW - I have no problem with flipping burgers, busting tires or doing whatever is required to keep bread on the table.  BTDT in various stages of my life.  But not all those jobs pay enough to make a mortgage payment, much less support a couple of people.

I live near Denver and I have followed some of the coverage.  This is an above average-smart young lady whose family has had some bad times.  The biggest lesson we can learn is that most of us aren't more than two or three pieces of back luck from being in a very difficult spot.  This is not a case of egregious bad judgment and living high on the hog, as the author of the comment would like to think it is.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
I have sympathy for people who are losing their homes, unless they're real estate fraudsters. No doubt her mother knew what was coming, but we don't know what her mother did or didn't tell her. I'll just accept the story as is and feel sorry that she was taken by surprise.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
Like I say there is always 2 sides to every story and I think a little bit of embelishing has gone on from both in this story.
Digresion our specialty!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »

Ha haaa haaaaa

Sad story tho, especially that her dad died.