Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Good Guys Guitars is closing

(1/5) > >>

Andrew:
GGG is shutting down and they have a bunch of basses left, including a few Gibsons. There might be deals to be had. I'm not connected to the store, just thought I'd mention the chance at possible deals to you guys.

http://goodguysguitars.com

Dave W:
The problem for me (besides lack of spare funds) is that most their basses are priced at least 50% higher than you see in this neck of the woods. They'd have to do some really steep discounting before I'd consider anything on their site a bargain.

rockinrayduke:
Kevin wasn't at the Arlington show this year which was very unusual, thought something was up. They have a lot of high $$ instruments and people got no $$ to spare.

gweimer:
I would think that with the market down, the asking prices would need to be adjusted.  Fewer people are willing to sell the house for a nice vintage bass.  If the market values drop them down under the costs, then there's trouble.  Sounds to me, from looking this over, and their inventory, that that might be what's going on.  Traveling to a guitar show, setting it all up, buying the space, etc. isn't a cheap week-end.  There has to be an expected return somewhere.

Dave W:
Good Guys had an EB-650 on eBay in May with a $5000 BIN. I've never seen one sell on eBay for over $2,500. The auction petered out at $1624. A poster at Jules' place started a thread to say he had offered (post-auction) in the neighborhood of $1650. The response: "Dude, Its a 5000.00 bass on a bad day. We're blowing it out at 4395.00"

That says a lot. They believed their own hype about the values. From the looks of their remaining inventory and prices, not enough buyers believed the hype.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version