Author Topic: Hofner GAS  (Read 17751 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Hofner GAS
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »
My Dad (who passed away last month) bought me my first Hofner in 1975, it was my first bass. A year later I sold it to my teacher because I wanted a solid body that didn't look like a violin. I still keep its original teacup knobs. A couple months ago I found that teacher after 36 years (isn't Google great?), he's a professional violinist and lives in the US, he still has that bass and is still playing it! He promised me first dibs on the bass if he ever sells.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
So sorry for your loss, Ilan... shalom...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »
So sorry for your loss, Ilan... shalom...
Ilan I am sorry to hear of your Dads passing.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
Me too Ilan, peace and blessings to you and your family.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
me too Ilan...my Dad is 87...I imagine I will be there soon...

Hope all is well...hope everyone is at peace.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »
Thanks guys. Funny thing is my Dad never forgot that Hofner, only a couple months ago, while in hospital, he said he regrets selling it. It was a very special bass, he said, we should have kept it. He was a very special man, kind and intelligent.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »
Sad for your loss, Ilan. I know how it feels. Lost my dad the summer of 97. He was asleep when I arrived that day, after my older brother had phoned me. A couple of hours before he left for good, he opened his eyes, turned his head towards me, and smiled. Then he turned the other way, smiled at my younger brother (the one I've mentioned earlier on, who's had cancer five times, still never brings it up if noone else does, just goes on in the most positive way), closed his eyes and was gone at midnight.
My mother left six years later. As late as last week I got the notion I should call them up. Felt really glad for a very fast second. Then I remembered. So do us all a favour. Sit down and talk to your parents. Ask questions about them, their relatives and friends, and the way they grew up. Write down the information you get. Which is what I did, when I realized I couldn't talk to my father no more. So my ma gave me answers to everything I wanted to know. Now I can bring the stories to my own kids. Stories of poverty, pride, TBC, and very hard times. It sure has helped me to feel thankful for almost every day I live. ;)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 06:22:40 AM »
my dad compiled a book for me about his life before and during the WW2. i talk to him alot about the old days but the book had many family photos and stories i didn't know. it's priceless to me. thank goodness he is still here at age 87 and still playing tennis when he can.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:49:56 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »
I heartily endorse the notions above.

If your parents are around, record some oral history - ask them to tell of their life when they were kids - ask them to talk about whatever stands out to them, and probe for big life events.

My dad passed at age 78, my mom at 86.  No more chances to ask questions now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:35:08 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »
I got a lot of oral history from my Dad and someday I gotta write it down.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
My folks passed about 14 years ago, Mom at 65, Dad at 70. I wish I had written so much down, no one left to ask.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
My folks passed about 14 years ago, Mom at 65, Dad at 70. I wish I had written so much down, no one left to ask.

My situation was about the same - mom 65, dad 72, about 10 years ago. I've learned a bit more from my mom's sister, but on my dad's side there's no one left.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
Bill when is your bass coming in ? this thread has turned into a bummer. Only the arrival of your new Club can turn it around.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:34:32 PM by godofthunder »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Should be about 3 more weeks if Kurt's info is correct!  I'm loaded up and ready to git her!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Bill when is your bass coming in ? this thread has turned into a bummer. Only the arrival of your new Club can turn it around.

I have to admit being a little bummed out thinking about stories I didn't get to ask my folks about. But I have my memories! I have a lot of music-gear-related memories with my dad that I wouldn't trade for anything - even if I may have traded the gear!