Author Topic: Black NR bird  (Read 3094 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Black NR bird
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Gibson-Thunderbird-Firebird-bass-Fender-sg-picks_W0QQitemZ230252797417QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have never seen a real one. They believe it is original. I think black is one color the Non Reverse does not look great in.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Black NR bird
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:50 AM »
 Watching, always watching......................... I am ever the doubter, I'm not sure about the finish being original. Never seen a black one, might be might not. $3500 starting bid, over before it started for me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34:03 AM »
Oh man, if I had money to burn.............. :P

BTW, chack out the hardware.  Looks just like our reproduction tailpieces!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
The case looks in nice condition though... thats got to be worth a few hundred dollars!

Stock?... I'd want to see a close up of the serial number, and it to be perfect.

It's funny how these have increased in value in the last few years way quicker than any other Gibson bass

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »
 I don't find it funny at all Jules, used to be I had these to myself. NRs have been my main axe since '78. Now with ebay and the web everyone knows how great these are.  :-[ Oh for the good old days.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ZezozeceGlutz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
I'm not fond of black with white pickguards on anything but I bet it would look good with a b/w/b pickguard or something like that.

I like the "Fender sg picks" part and this question:

Q:    Tell me about the Fender sg pickes. I didn't see that mentioned in the description?   May-15-08
A:    It is a Fender brand pick,sg is for super good.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
Well I can't seem to find it now but a couple of days ago I saw a listing at a vintage store in England for a blacked-out NR Thunderbird. It looked pretty damn cool to me, but then my T-Bird is all blacked out. I think it had a B-W-B guard and the nickel hardware. I think they mentioned refin, and maybe a neck repair, but don't quote me on that. Anyhow, it looked better with the black guard than a white one IMO.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Essential Tension

• View Profile
DAVE

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
That's so funny I saw that bass in person when I went to London. The headstock was badly cracked still or still had all the cracks visible. They also had several other cool Epi & Gibsons.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »
That shop is about as expensive as they get.... normally a lot more than ebay - i'm surprised nobody has bought that one yet, after all it has been in there for some time, and non rev prices on ebay are catching up

Essential Tension

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
I was in there two weeks ago and the black NR either wasn't there or I missed it - mind you I was concentrating on my 14 year old son not damaging the custom colour Firebird VII he was playing.
DAVE

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »
That black on black bird looks KILLER!

The white pickguard would look a lot better with the bird logo.
...black too for that matter.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
 I'm not entirely sure that this is the one that Mike Lull owned, I spoke with him about a 60's NR that he ordered in black back in the day........according to him the ONLY one ever factory painted in black.     He played it and kept it for many years, eventually selling it and IIRC Kevin Borden owned for it awhile too...........Mike never mentioned a headstock repair, so I wonder about this instrument.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 04:24:49 AM »
None the less, I'd be happy to own it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!