Author Topic: Hard to believe it's been 20 years ago today...  (Read 2170 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Hard to believe it's been 20 years ago today...
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:17 AM »
We lost one of the greats...

Here's a bit of lightheartedness in his honor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ou-WIxfLY&ob=av2e

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Hard to believe it's been 20 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
I was at the drive-thru window at Wendy's getting breakfast on my way to work when I heard.  :-[

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »
SRV was ridiculously good. his early appearances on austin city limits are classics.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
I was in Oslo, Norway
and had to have the newspaper translated to me.

I grieve to this day...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
I was just getting off the night shift at a radio station I worked at when it came over the wire. I still remember how empty I felt as another great one was lost.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
I only discovered him shortly before he passed.  His loss, and that of Danny Gatton, deprived us of two towering talents.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:12 PM »
The Sky Is Crying

SRV~RIP

Hornisse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
I was 28 and was making my rounds in North Austin in my company car when I heard the news on KLBJ.  I remember the DJ crying and they played Tightrope.  What a great talent and person. 

I first read about him in the 1979 Guitar Player interview with Jimmy Vaughan.  Jimmy said he was a guitarist to "look out" for!  I moved to Austin in late 1981 and in early 1982 I was at Ray's Heart Of Texas Music to have my Stingray bass worked on.  Steve Crisp (the tech) was back there installing some pickups in an old Strat and there was a guy with him wearing a Los Fabulosos Thunderbirds Tee Shirt which I thought was cool as I had one.  I was checking out the work being done and the guy kept looking at me. (maybe I was being impatient waiting on the tech)  So Crisp hands the Strat to the guy and he goes to the amp area and sits on an old Fender amp and starts tearing it up.  I told Steve Crisp "that guy is making that Strat sing!" to which he replies, "Oh, that's Stevie Ray Vaughan" and that is when my jaw dropped.  I was too shy to go over to him, but I understand he frequented that store a lot.  That is where he bought the legendary Number 1 Stratocaster that he favored.  My favorite show of his was when me and a bunch of the guys from the Sheet Metal Shop I worked at went to see him at Palmer Auditorium in '84.  It was a great show and quite a strange lineup.  Angela Strehli opened with a badass band followed by Duke Jupiter (!) and then SRV.  Tommy Shannon was playing the old white Jazz bass.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
I was at work and received no less than four calls from friends telling me what had happened. I rushed out to the parking lot to tune in on the radio and hear the news ...... I was stunned for about a week. Still in shock, really. To me, he re-defined everything I thought I knew. He put Blues back on the map and woke everyone out of their slumber. I miss him, his music and persona. But ...... thank God there's still Jimmie!!

RIP SRV

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »
It was a weekend, we had been married for just over a year and were house/dog sitting as part of a holiday in Scotland whilst my mum and dad were in Canada...

I had the pleasure of his company for about 20 minutes after a show and to my eternal shame I commented on Little Wing as being a Clapton song, to which he corrected me with a big grin... I had a stage pass for the '83 Reading show (he was third on the bill with Marillion and Sabbath) and he told me stories about when he saw his heroes play (had to ask if he'd seen Duane Allman to which he replied yes, and of course, Jimi...). a true gentleman, as was Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton - a personalised autograph I will always treasure...

What a loss... don't the years just whizz by... RIP SRV
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »
I was in London and had already purchased tickets for his upcoming show when I heard the late great Tommy Vance announce SRV's death on GLR (Radio). He certainly qualifies as one of the greats in my book.
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
I was at work and received no less than four calls from friends telling me what had happened. I rushed out to the parking lot to tune in on the radio and hear the news ...... I was stunned for about a week. Still in shock, really. To me, he re-defined everything I thought I knew. He put Blues back on the map and woke everyone out of their slumber. I miss him, his music and persona. But ...... thank God there's still Jimmie!!

RIP SRV

Yeah! Gonna see Jimmie tomorrow night here in SoCal!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »
I heard it at the table for regulars in the pub where me and my classmates from the Arts Academy got together for a few pints.
We talked about how we thought Eric Clapton should've been in that helicopter... :-[

RIP SRV