Author Topic: Hi-Flyer Project!  (Read 16628 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Flyer Project!
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »
Oh yeah, golddddddddddddddddddd!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
I'm putting together a ReRanch order for next month (been an expensive month...)

Here's what I'm thinking:

- 1 small can oil-based grain filler
- 2 spray cans of Gold Top to do the entire body
- 2 cans nitro lacquer for finishing coats

The ReRanch site recommends a white undercoat, but says that B.I.N.s white pigmented varnish or Kilz sealers available in spray cans are OK to use, so I'll get those locally.  It also recommends alternating lacquer and grain filler under the white - so I think I'll need at least two cans of the clear.  See application directions here: http://www.reranch.com/goldtop.htm

Am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:32:40 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
I'm putting together a ReRanch order for next month (been an expensive month...)

Here's what I'm thinking:

- 1 small can oil-based grain filler
- 2 spray cans of Gold Top to do the entire body
- 2 cans nitro lacquer for finishing coats

The ReRanch site recommends a white undercoat, but says that B.I.N.s white pigmented varnish or Kilz sealers available in spray cans are OK to use, so I'll get those locally.  It also recommends alternating lacquer and grain filler under the white - so I think I'll need at least two cans of the clear.  See; http://www.reranch.com/goldtop.htm

Am I missing anything?

Looks good Al.  Mahogany always needs filling.  Plan on 2-3 steps to be sure.  I just spray a light coat of sand & sealer first, then do my grain fills, one on top of the other.  Or, just skip the S&S and go right to grain filling.  You really don't have to spray between grain fills., but everyone has a favorite method for this step!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 05:34:05 PM »
So you put down a sealing coat first, then do multiple grain fills as needed - without sealing in between each.  That sounds easy enough.  The ReRanch site recommends using the clear nitro as an initial sealer coat and letting it soak in overnight...seems like the same concept.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Yep, Reranch has a good system, it's how I learned it. 

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »
 "The ReRanch site recommends using the clear nitro as an initial sealer coat and letting it soak in overnight...seems like the same concept."

Using the sealer coat before filling will prevent the filler from staining the wood, not really an issue if you're doing an opaque top coat. Be sure to seal the filler before your primer and color coats.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Cheers,

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
"The ReRanch site recommends using the clear nitro as an initial sealer coat and letting it soak in overnight...seems like the same concept."

Using the sealer coat before filling will prevent the filler from staining the wood, not really an issue if you're doing an opaque top coat. Be sure to seal the filler before your primer and color coats.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Cheers,

S.

A light sealer coat before filling also helps fill the pores deep down initially.  I also do a S&S coat or two before applying color or rans coats.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 10:29:30 AM »
Hey Al, check these out!  I found them on the Mosrite forum and thought of you.  This was a custom bass made by Mosrite..............

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
That's beautiful!  Looks like they used Fender-style tuners and offset them a bit to provide room.  Also looks like a single PU unless they hid one under the bridge cover - but I don't think it would fit, and the placement wouldn't match any of their other basses in that style.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »
Yep, it's a beauty.  I doubt the tuners are original, they're probably a replacement for the old duck feet tuners.  A lot of people didn't like those, but now they are collector's items!!!  I love the one pup Mosrites, I think they look really sleek and clean. 

Blazer

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »
Yeah they look great but with their guitar 25.5 scale length and only that neck pickup, they sound really rubbery and farty.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
But they don't have a 25.5" scale length. The whole point of Bill's successful protest over the one Andy Moseley sold him was that it wasn't an actual production model. It was something he put together from his "vintage" used parts bin.

Real Mosrite basses were 30" scale. So were real Univox Ho-Flyer basses.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »
But they don't have a 25.5" scale length. The whole point of Bill's successful protest over the one Andy Moseley sold him was that it wasn't an actual production model. It was something he put together from his "vintage" used parts bin.

Real Mosrite basses were 30" scale. So were real Univox Ho-Flyer basses.

Dave's correct!