Author Topic: Starting Tele Bass Project  (Read 6473 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Starting Tele Bass Project
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
I just picked up a pair of Tele bass bodies from a gent on TalkBass...evidently he had these around and just wans't goign to get to them.  I've been thinking of building my own Telecaster-style bass for some time, and these were nice enough and priced well enough that I thought I'd go for it.  He sold them as a pair so I will need to decide which body to use.

First, a body with a redwood cap and contrasting wood insert on the front. The neck area is not routed.

Second, this body has an orange maple cap on the front, and some really nice wood on the back. It has two pickup routs, and has a rather generic neck rout:

I really like the redwood with the insert, but the back is not as nice as the other body, although it has impressive grain visible.  The orange maple cap has lovely wood both front and back.

Comments?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Starting Tele Bass Project
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
Those look nice. The redwood is really neat looking.
You going shortscale? My first bass project was an Alder slab that I made into a telecaster body - I wish I had made it a shortie.

Best of luck.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
I like the redwood top better. JMHO, YMMV etc.

You already know you'll have better balance going short scale.

Assuming these are standard dimension Tele guitar bodies, then you'll be needing a neck with a narrower heel than a standard long scale Fender bass. The routed pocket (or the area to be routed on the redwood top one) is meant for a neck that's 2 3/16" at the bottom of the heel (like a Mustang bass or a Tele guitar), rather than 2 1/2" for a P or J. You'll have narrower string spacing and you'll need a bridge to accommodate narrower string spacing, also like a Mustang or Musicmaster bass. If you use the wider neck, you'll have overhang at the sides not supported by the neck pocket.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
Both look nice but that Redwood top is killer!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dave.  I had short scale in mind, as I really do want to preserve the balance.  I also find that I'm increasingly fond of short scale basses. I definitely wouldn't want to rout the orange maple body any wider - it has minimal material on the G-side already.  String spacing isn't an impediment - I'm OK with that.

I'm in no rush with this, so it may be a while.  I also have limited routing skills and no templates, nor have I made any routing templates.  I foresee some experimentation with 2x12 material to learn how to tour for necks and pickups.

I'm quite undecided as to a pickup if I use the redwood body.  I have in stock a couple of Gretsch Filtertrons, a '51 Fender single coil, and a spare Gretsch 2202 pickup. If I use the orange maple body, I'll probably end up with a pair of '51 style pickups.

With the fantastic wood in both of these, I'm not planning to add a pickguard.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:57:24 AM »
... With the fantastic wood in both of these, I'm not planning to add a pickguard.

That would be a waste...

I presume that is sequoia...? Not seen it used before; presumed decorative rather than "hardwood" but not familiar with it's use...

Beautiful... that would be my choice, purely on the look of the timber... looks like flowing silk...

My only (personal) problem is that I've never "got" the shape... each to their own... You mentioned the back wood figuring... It is the back and the only time you will look at it is when you put her back in the case, and that will only be to inspect for "buckle-rash" - the impression you should look for is the front alone, as that is where your eyes (and anyone elses) will fall... as for the "sound" you are looking for, that is so "personal" a choice it can only be answered by you... if the "sound" of Uwe's (ex George's) white TBII is so "perfect" why would anyone ever want a two pup 'Bird...?

Look at the choices and go with your gut...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:16 AM »
Hey, cool project!  I have a tone of templates for necks, including tele guitar sized as well.  Once you know what you're going to do, let me know and I'll copy one for you.  Got some pickup ones too.  I think a short scale would be best too.  I would consider using a Mustang or Musicmaster neck off eBay, I've done that before.  Finding a 30" neck new can be crazy expensive.

I currently have a Musicmaster neck i'm gonna use for a Mustang project.  I'm gonna to try and make a copy of it.  If I get it done and to my satisfaction, I can make one for you if you're interested.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
 Looks like a fun project! Aren't the new Squier Tele basses medium scale? I think I'd got that route.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Hey, cool project!  I have a tone of templates for necks, including tele guitar sized as well.  Once you know what you're going to do, let me know and I'll copy one for you.  Got some pickup ones too.  I think a short scale would be best too.  I would consider using a Mustang or Musicmaster neck off eBay, I've done that before.  Finding a 30" neck new can be crazy expensive.

I currently have a Musicmaster neck i'm gonna use for a Mustang project.  I'm gonna to try and make a copy of it.  If I get it done and to my satisfaction, I can make one for you if you're interested.

Great advice!  Bill, I will shamelessly ask you for advice as it's needed.  I'll start neck-searching and announce it here if i find one.  Mustang or Musicmaster necks should work.

What do you think of this one?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Musicmaster-Bass-Neck-1978-good-condition-no-reserve-/330880614612?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d0a0580d4

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
Looks like a fun project! Aren't the new Squier Tele basses medium scale? I think I'd got that route.

And incur the wrath of Dave and Uwe?   :vader:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Great advice!  Bill, I will shamelessly ask you for advice as it's needed.  I'll start neck-searching and announce it here if i find one.  Mustang or Musicmaster necks should work.

What do you think of this one?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Musicmaster-Bass-Neck-1978-good-condition-no-reserve-/330880614612?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d0a0580d4

That looks about like mine.  The trussrod is the main issue, as long as it works, these necks are easy to dress up or you can use as is.  The one I have is for a model and I'll probably leave it alone.  But, I have totally rehabbed and refinished these before and got a great look out of them.

Anything you need, don't hesitate to ask!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
I've posted this a hundred times before, but I thought I'd refresh for folks who may not have seen it.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
I've posted this a hundred times before, but I thought I'd refresh for folks who may not have seen it.

I hadn't seen this - way cool.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Bill, didn't you put Filtertrons in that bass?

As an always-price-conscious type, I spotted this new style short scale Jag neck.  I think it would work, too.  They have a nice satin finish on back and the headstock can be cleaned off an painted as needed.

This one has the right price...at least for now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass-Special-SS-Short-Scale-Neck-/130866456639?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e783fa83f
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:25:00 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
I would go for the Musicmaster neck, if it's in good working order and stays reasonable.

FWIW, there's a guy at the TDPRI who is building a Tele-bodied bass using the medium scale Squier VM neck. He mentioned that the standard neck pocket had to be widened (and lengthened) and from the pics he's posted so far, looks like the neck is wider than the portion of the pocket that extends above the body. Not a good situation, IMHO best avoided.