Author Topic: Bronco idea!  (Read 2970 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Bronco idea!
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
I've been holding onto the pickup from a Gretsch G2202 Electromatic Jr. Jet for a couple of years, thinking to put it into a Lyle short-scale hollowbody bass.

But I think I'm going to drop that project (which I can't seem to get excited about) and put that TV Jones pickup in my Bronco bass.  Based on the sound from my Jr. Jet bass, it ought to sound HUGE!  (Blatant shill: the Lyle hollowbody is now listed in the classifieds.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:56:22 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Bronco idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Yeah, the pickup from the Gretsch is pretty awesome little fella.  It would be an interesting fit in either body, but I'm curious to see how it fits/sounds in the Bronco.

You know, we own quite a few of the same budget basses.  If I remember correctly, you've mentioned the JTB401, the Junior Jet, the Bronco, a Dano 63 RI...all of which I have (I recently sold the JTB401).

Let us know how the Bronco project works out.  BTW, that hollowbody would make a real nice project.
Still thinking about it.

Steve 
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
I'm a bit torn because I do have a Gretsch 2202 and the Bronco may end up as a clone of it with the same pickup. 

OTOH, I haven't done anything with that hollowbody and I don't really need another...so it would find a better home with another Outpost member.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »
I think the Gretsch pup would sound good in the Bronco.  I assume there are some differences in wood between the 2 basses, so you might get a different result out of the pup.  Placement and pots could change things up a bit too.  You could change the tone pot value to make the low end more obvious or not.  It's up to you.  I'd experiment around a bit.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
Great idea to vary the electronics!  I like that approach.

I'm going to use the stock PG and cut it out - easy to do.  The Gretsch pickup has a black trim ring too, which should cover any differences in picup outline.

I plan to have pics by Sunday!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
Great idea to vary the electronics!  I like that approach.

I'm going to use the stock PG and cut it out - easy to do.  The Gretsch pickup has a black trim ring too, which should cover any differences in picup outline.

I plan to have pics by Sunday!

If you want it booming, use a 250 or less tone pot.  I'm looking forward to it!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
If you want it booming, use a 250 or less tone pot.  I'm looking forward to it!

Just happen to have a brand new pair of AllParts 250K pots sitting around in the wrappers....intended for that very bass.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »
That should do it!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Hey Al, sorry for the offtopic, sent you a pm, hope you got it.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
Hey Al, sorry for the offtopic, sent you a pm, hope you got it.

No problem, been crazy busy and all is OK...will send you follow-up this evening!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »
OK, the Gretsch pickup is now mounted in the Bronco - and it's a success!  It doesn't have quite the roar that that my Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet does, but it's definitely fuller and deeper than the Strat-type pickups.

I first determined placement of the pickup by centering it under the strings upside down....when it looked right, marked its outline on the PG with a red wipe-off marker.  Since this pickup has a trim ring that's black, I decided to keep it and mount both.  That also meant I had more freedom to leave the sides of the cutout in the PG less than perfect.

Opened up the PG...drilled holes in the PG for each corner of the trim ring and for the pickup depth adjustment screws.  Mounted the trim ring and pickup so i could see whether there clearance issues with the body cavity.

Under the PG, I did need to create about 1/2" more space on the E- string side.  Both the pickup adjustment tab and the trim ring screws ran into interference.  Fortunately there's a lot of room under there.  A Dremel, patience and repeated test fittings did the trick.  This picture was taken when part-way done; I took about twice as much material out as is shown in this pic, eventually moving the entire end of the cavity about 1/2" farther over.  I also had to Dremel out one recess on the other side of the cavity for the top screw on the G string side...that recess is about where the angle cut is in the cavity.

Here's before, with the S-D Hot Rails Strat pickup:

Here's after (...how do you like the V8 emblem?  Found it in a car parts store...liked it):

Personally, I think Fender ought to offer a humbucker option for the Bronco!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:05:23 PM by Pilgrim »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Doh!  I coulda had a V-8!!!   I love it, takes me back to a time when cars had balls and spewed leaded fumes!  The pup and ring look great mounted in the guard.  Nice job!

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
I think it looks way cool! Nice idea.

It looks like a mini version of a mudbuckered P-Bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:50 PM »
I debated how to place the V8 emblem...I know it's not quite vertical in the photos, but when i wear the bass it's just about level.  I figure that making it level when worn is OK.

Hard to go wrong with black, white & chrome, innit?

I also have a black pearloid pickguard for that bass - when I'm 100% sure I have the right pickup, it will go on.  That's probably going to be soon.  I LOVE that Gretsch / TV Jones pickup.  I got lucky and acquired it from a luthier who had it sitting around as a take-out after a customer had him add a replacement pickup to a Gretsch 2202.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:07 AM »
It looks pleasantly unfenderly now. Me likey!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.