Author Topic: Grinding down a Gibson EB-0 humbucker cover  (Read 2947 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Grinding down a Gibson EB-0 humbucker cover
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
Here's an inexpensive drum sanding kit that uses sheet or roll paper.  I use this in addition to the Shopsmith drum.  Fits into the drill chuck or 1/2" shaper chuck attachment off the back of the spindle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-quick-change-sanding-drum-set-35455.html

Me LIKEY!!!  

DO NOT tell Kenny that my office is only three blocks from a Harbor Freight store.  It would be too hard on the lad.  We'd find him sobbing in the shed, surrounded by squirrels.

And certainly don't tell him that a quick check on Craigslist found a half-dozen Shopsmiths in Denver, with a number priced at $350 to $500.  Bill, you oughta check your Craigslist....one of them might be closer than you think.  The Mark V Model 510 is the later model...but there's not a great deal of difference.

Shopsmith history...from their site...an interesting read: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/history.htm
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:13:24 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
Nooooooooooo......

... UK equivalent that I am aware of... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:02:57 PM »
Nooooooooooo......

... UK equivalent that I am aware of... ;D

It's sold in the UK by Craft Supplies. I remember seeing ads for it years ago when I subscribed to a British woodworking magazine. But if you're seriously interested, look for a used one.

There were also Asian-made copies on the US and UK markets for years, I don't know if any are in production now. Some were okay, others weren't.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
I fell off the chair and scalded myself with my malted-soya-milk when I saw the (UK - new) price... expect a letter from my solicitor... ;)

(cheers for that, Dave... yes I would be interested and may well do some further research; interesting that they were interested in trade-ins for #5's...?)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
With the reduction in the number of people who know and want to use such tools, used ones are often going at low prices.  Hope you can find something.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »
Thanks for posting this - I'm using a EB-0/3 pickup in the bridge pos on my first build.  After routing the pup cavity and fitting the cover where it's flush with the body, I can see that the cover sits way too high.  I started scratching my head as to how this could happen, but your post made me understand that it's no big deal. I don't own a shopsmith, but at least I know what need to be done - grind.

I was actually thinking about making a tiny channel around the perimeter of the cover so it sits down in the body a bit.

Thanks,
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
It will take a while, but gluing sandpaper on a flat surface like that marble block or a glass sheet will work.  Those covers are soft metal, so they're not that hard to work on.  Just make sure not to press harder on one side and end up with a shorter cover on one side than the other.