Author Topic: Removing glued in bridge inserts on an Epi  (Read 1254 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Removing glued in bridge inserts on an Epi
« on: October 24, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
Hey all. I was stripping the hardware off my GothBird project and have run in to a bit of a problem. I had planned on removing the 3 point bridge and replacing it with an ABM type of bridge (think the type thats on a double cut bass). Apparently the previous owner glued the bridge inserts into the body, which might be ok but one of them sticks out of the body at least 1/4". I was trying to remove the inserts without ruining them so any help, tips or advice would be appreciated. If it did take some wood out of the body when removing the inserts it's not a huge deal as I will be doing plenty of patching on this one already. I really don't want to keep the 3 point on there as I'm not a fan of them. I could at worst case replace it with a Hipshot replacement like I have on my Gibson, but I was really trying to take this project a whole different direction. Also I'm trying to use up parts that I already have on hand. Sooooo....any ideas?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Removing glued in bridge inserts on an Epi
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »
You could try heating a post with a soldering iron, Andy, which will soften most glues, or try a freezer spray (used by electronics engineers and plumbers), but I would think the former should do it...

You might be able to loosen the glue on the "proud" one first, to see if it will go in further, if the thread/width/positioning are ok...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
Kenny beat me to the punch as I was typing but I have more detail  ;)

Any idea what they used to glue them in?  

If they used PVA, yellow wood glue, you could run a bolt, providing you find a thread to match, all the way into the insert and heat the bolt head, extending far enough that you don't scorch the wood, with a lighter to weaken the glue.  Then use a couple of opposing pry bars and wood blocks to pop the bolt and inserts out.  I think that I would also lightly tap the side of the bolt head a few times help break the joint just before I popped them out.

If they used epoxy or supper glue I'm not sure if heat would work but it's worth a try.  Probably a run in a sacrificial bolt and apply a few sharp raps from the side to try to crack/weaken the glue and then pry out like above.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Judging from the glue on the raised insert it's Super Glue. Plus it looks like some was wiped off of the body around the inserts. I do have the extra bolts that came with my Hipshot (they come with a set to fit Epi's & Gibson's) so I could use those. I think the idea of screwing that into the raised one and hitting with a hammer will work. It may be too much work to get the other 2 out. They are seated in pretty firmly. I'll experiment with the heat idea that you guys suggested and I will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
Ok, I ran the bolts into the inserts and used a wood block and hammer to hit them. I then tried to pry them out and they are all out now!!!! ;D The hardest one to remove was the one that was partially sticking out. The front one was the easiest to remove and it looked like no glue was on it. Thanks for the help  guys! :mrgreen:

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
Glad you got them out!

FWIW if you are going to plug those holes with dowels it would be bset if you redrilled the holes with a slightly larger bit so as to remove the old glue so that you have wood to wood contact with the glue.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
All's well that ends well... post the project...  ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
Glad you got them out!

FWIW if you are going to plug those holes with dowels it would be bset if you redrilled the holes with a slightly larger bit so as to remove the old glue so that you have wood to wood contact with the glue.

I had wondered if I should do that, so I will take your advice and do it.....just have to find the right bit for it! I'll post some pic's of the project when I get a couple of steps further into it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
No getting off that lightly, Andy... some of us love ALL the gory details... but no need to go into depth as far as I have, though... unless you love a challenge (gauntlet thrown down)  ;D