Author Topic: Bass weights  (Read 5495 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Bass weights
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
OK, this version is current as of 12-5-09, with all weights reported to me on this forum and on Talkbass.  I have in tot included parts basses or any instruments that weren't reported with enough info to give me Make, Model and Weight.

There are now 252 basses in the list; it's in Excel 2003 format, which should be accessible to most of us.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
I forgot that bit... like the cyst bit came from "curse Of The Claw, I think...? some things stay near the surface, like his dad speaking in French, and...

Eeee, black pudding's black today, Dave... even white bits are black...

Curiously enough, not seen a re-run here in many years; the Python shows are rarely shown, too... hard to believe there were only nine Ripping Yarns made... like there were only 12 Farty Titties...

I have Ripping Yarns on DVD. Most or all of them are now on YouTube in multiple segments.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:57 PM »
Lack of balance can really fool you.

Yup, I find that an unbalanced bass can cause as much back pain for me as a heavy bass. Unfortunately I'm getting to the point where my lightweight '76 Thunderbird sometimes hurts my back on a gig. I don't play it as much as I would like to because of it.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 02:32:27 AM »
So what is the lightest bass known to man? Hofner? Dano? I owned examples of both... The Hofner seemed heavier because it had neck dive. Both were under 6 lbs.

For me, ~9 lbs is ideal. Not a toy and not too heavy.

My '66 Mustang bass (7.2 lbs) is too light and had some neck dive as a result. I had to replace the tuners with Ultralites to restore the balance. Now it's all good, but when it still had its original tuners, it really was uncomfortable to play standing up.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
My Coronado II was very light and a horrible diver, with the location of the strap button it rotated out as it dived. Hurt my shoulder to play.

OTOH my Musicman SUB is a bit on the heavier side (I think 9.5-10 lbs.) but it balances just right and never tires me.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
The weight is why I ended up with the Dano longhorns--