Author Topic: What about Jack  (Read 5312 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: What about Jack
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »
Enlighten me, native speaker, what hidden meaning lies behind "husky" in this sentence? I only know husky dogs and husky voices ("Lalalala-Lola"), but I sense some other connotation here ...

The dark side: http://www.washington.edu/ (The Huskies, aka: the dawgz.  Colors: tacky purple and gold.)

The Force: http://www.wsu.edu/ (The Cougars, aka: the Cougs.  Colors: tasteful Crimson and Grey)

My avatar can be found on one of these web pages.  I cannot, nor will I ever, own a purple bass. Thank you, Fender, for naming the color of my bass Midnight Blue.

But - back to the original topic - Casady's bass playing doesn't always send me, but that's because of the style of music he plays.  My taste runs more to rock than the more lyrical style he often gets into.  But he darn sure designed a nice bass!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:56:16 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
... and a very nice shade of blue too...

Nice purple "Vogel" Uwe...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
Here is an excerpt from an interview with Anthony Jackson who sites Jack as an influence.

Perhaps more of a surprise to some will be Jackson’s influence from Jack Casady.

“Casady, whom I'd first heard on Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow album in late 1966, had a big, rich, metallic sound with a full bottom and a curious, guitaristic way of playing that I was immediately drawn to.[...]"

Here's some of that "guitaristic" Casady playing (~2:00):

I like his playing well enough, but I can relate to nofi's post.  There are just some groups that I never fully warmed up to, and Jefferson Airplane was one of them.  Casady is cool and he has his own unique thing, but most of their music just hasn't grabbed me yet.  I still listen from time to time, just to see if my tastes might have changed, or if something new catches my ear.  There have been other bands that have eventually clicked for me this way.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 01:40:28 AM »
But he darn sure designed a nice bass!

which bass do you mean?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »
Ok, "designing" is perhaps an overstatement of how JC turned the LP Sig into his own signature model. He changed the pup (not for the better though in my opinion) and the pup position slightly and the neck board is set a little higher giving you more range with the three point. At the time the Epi JC came out (and LP Sigs had long been forgotten), Jack certainly acted as if he had invented that bass from scratch, long thoughtful interviews and all.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »

I like his playing well enough, but I can relate to nofi's post.  There are just some groups that I never fully warmed up to, and Jefferson Airplane was one of them.  Casady is cool and he has his own unique thing, but most of their music just hasn't grabbed me yet.  I still listen from time to time, just to see if my tastes might have changed, or if something new catches my ear.  There have been other bands that have eventually clicked for me this way.

I can relate to this too. One dreadful Jefferson Airplane concert in 1970 was enough for me. We had come to see the opening act and decided to stay. Bad move.

Listened to a couple of Hot Tuna cuts once. Nope. Not my kind of music.

He has respect among Airplane and Hot Tuna fans. I expect that he's earned it. I'll take their word for it.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
I never really understood the Jack Cassidy thing either. He did some OK stuff, but nothing to jump up and down about.
Rick

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
I liked Hot Tuna, but find their music (& Airplane's) to be kind of neither here nor there, much like the Greatful Dead & Phish, not that That Hot Tunu or Jefferson airplane were jam bands. They shared that low key noodly grass roots / rock vibe.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
I wonder if Airplane would have been a better band with a more solid bass player. They had some good songs, but the performance always seems to be on the edge of falling apart, like they really desperately needed someone to hold them together.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »
I have never been a big fan of the Airplane/Starship - their music just wasn't to my taste. And I can REALLY say the same about the Grateful Dead. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hornisse

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »
I really like both groups.  I was into Jefferson Starship back in the mid 70's when Red Octopus came out.  I love Pete Sears' bass playing.  David Frieberg is also good too and it is very easy to tell each player apart.  Surrealistic Pillow is a great record.  I have the remaster CD.  I'm really into mainly mid 1960's to mid 1970's music.  I have well over 2000 LP's and am constantly buying more.  It's worse GAS than buying bass guitars!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
After Bathing at Baxters starts with this song. The bass just grabs me. Jack was a huge influence on me. I think I bought this album three times.

http://www.youtube.com/v/d1RgUO5E9fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »
I wonder if Airplane would have been a better band with a more solid bass player. They had some good songs, but the performance always seems to be on the edge of falling apart, like they really desperately needed someone to hold them together.

That is an excellent observation and I couldn't agree more. He always seemed to be filling in the cracks rather than laying the foundation.
Rick

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
The brilliance of Jorma's guitar playing has always impressed me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
Robert... I weaned myself off the "vinyl" GAS back in the 80's

Over 5000 items...

Sold most of it off over the years...

Now weaning myself off CD GAS...

MP3's are easier to hide... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...