Author Topic: NBD: RNR Thunderbird  (Read 2450 times)

ajkula66

• View Profile
Re: NBD: RNR Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »
My friend Greta Brinkman plays the same way.  No great links, but she's played with L7, Moby, and a bunch of other bands.

I forgot to say...nice project on your end... :toast:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 07:01:02 PM »
BTW, both my sons are left-handed.

What a lovely coincidence, Doomy, isn't your best friend too?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »
I forgot to say...nice project on your end... :toast:

Thanks!  I was just playing with a friend tonight at his place, just bass and guitar.  The RNR felt great.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »
I saw Bowie play guitar with Tin Machine, he was no slouch. The whole Diamond Dogs album is just him and with all due respect to the many great players he's had (Mick Ronson, Carlos Alomar, Earl Slick, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Nile Rodgers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Peter Frampton, Reeves Gabrels), it's the album whose guitar playing I like the best. Its stripped down, almost punkish guitar went well with the dystopian theme of DD.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
I saw Bowie play guitar with Tin Machine, he was no slouch. The whole Diamond Dogs album is just him and with all due respect to the many great players he's had (Mick Ronson, Carlos Alomar, Earl Slick, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Nile Rodgers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Peter Frampton, Reeves Gabrels), it's the album whose guitar playing I like the best. Its stripped down, almost punkish guitar went well with the dystopian theme of DD.

Thanks for that. I didn't know Diamond Dogs was just Bowie.  I'll be all over this while working tomorrow.  I do love that album.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »
. Its stripped down, almost punkish guitar went well with the dystopian theme of DD.

An excellent album indeed. Raw and energetic. I never realized that Bowie did all the guitar work, though. Thanks for the education... :)
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
Add Steve Morse to the lefties playing righty list.

As far as lefty-playing-lefty-tuned-righty, you've got Jimmy Haslip and Lee Pomeroy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »
Bowie always joked that most accomplished guitar players have a hard time playing Rebel Rebel "because it was written by someone who can't really play guitar". And it's true, I've never heard it sound live (when other people play it) like it did on the record where he played.

Diamond Dogs was the first Bowie music I ever heard. I was completely mesmerized by it. It remains a favourite to this day - together with Station to Station (which I first disliked because it sounded nothing at all like my beloved DD, but it turned out to be a slow burner).

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »
Bowie always joked that most accomplished guitar players have a hard time playing Rebel Rebel "because it was written by someone who can't really play guitar". And it's true, I've never heard it sound live (when other people play it) like it did on the record where he played.

Diamond Dogs was the first Bowie music I ever heard. I was completely mesmerized by it. It remains a favourite to this day - together with Station to Station (which I first disliked because it sounded nothing at all like my beloved DD, but it turned out to be a slow burner).

The slow burners I find are the ones that end up staying with you forever.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 08:07:56 AM »
Add Steve Morse to the lefties playing righty list.

That explains a lot. I always wondered about the unusual position of his strumming hand - no arm movement, very angled elbow near the bridge, all pick movement from his wrist, it looked neither comfortable nor natural - und as it turned out, it did give him issues eventually and he had to relearn a traditional strumming position in more recent years. He said it was a real effort for him.

He's lost some of his former trademark speed in the process, but for DP that is actually a good thing - in a rock band context, little Steve at "only" 4/5 of his usual warp speed is just right!  :mrgreen:

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
What a lovely coincidence, Doomy, isn't your best friend too?

Nope, but our drummer is multi-handed though.  ???

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »
I wouldn't dare draw rushed conclusions from that. Good rhythm sections share a lot.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »
That explains a lot. I always wondered about the unusual position of his strumming hand - no arm movement, very angled elbow near the bridge, all pick movement from his wrist, it looked neither comfortable nor natural - und as it turned out, it did give him issues eventually and he had to relearn a traditional strumming position in more recent years. He said it was a real effort for him.

I remember him talking about the way he rotates his wrist in an unusual way compared to righties. It's too bad it caused damage eventually, but he still seems to play OK.  ;D