Author Topic: Gretsch Electromatic baritone  (Read 1079 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Gretsch Electromatic baritone
« on: August 05, 2022, 03:33:17 PM »
And another kijiji find , Gretsch baritone . Real good price .
It was tuned to B , I’ve dropped it down to A . There’s been talk of an odd little project with some friends , and there’s some baritone in there so I snagged it and might well be letting one of the guitarists have it . We’ll see .
One knob and a strap pin are not original , everything else checks out good .
It is on the heavy side , but being a specialty instrument would only be used for a song or two at a time .
I’ve been playing a Bass VI a lot . This is 29 3/4 scale , so was originally planned to be a Bass VI , but the string spacing is tighter like a guitar , so they marketed it as a baritone . You have to be careful with string length because of the extra scale and the Bigsby .
Herself thinks it’s a fine looking thing . And for the time being I’m enjoying goofing around on it .
Feeling lucky .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Gretsch Electromatic baritone
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:10:10 PM »
I find that extremely gorgeous!!

Wow, simply wow!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 04:19:53 AM »
Apparently many baritone and Bass VI string sets do not fit . It’s a 29 3/4 scale and the Bigsby adds a couple of inches . So you have to be careful buying strings .
The internet tells me that D'Addario EXL157 Nickel Plated Steel (.014-.068 Gauges, Tuned B to B ) is the way to go .
I’ll try and get a knob and strap pin for it , I’ve got a temporary strap pin on it for now .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »
Apparently many baritone and Bass VI string sets do not fit . It’s a 29 3/4 scale and the Bigsby adds a couple of inches . So you have to be careful buying strings .
The internet tells me that D'Addario EXL157 Nickel Plated Steel (.014-.068 Gauges, Tuned B to B ) is the way to go .
I’ll try and get a knob and strap pin for it , I’ve got a temporary strap pin on it for now .

Those "G" logo Gretsch knobs should be easy.  Even Amazon has them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 03:31:31 PM »
Ordered strings and knobs this morning !
Goofing around on it today .

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 04:06:32 AM »
Oh, that's very sweet.

I'd string it E-E like a bass VI, with flats of course. LaBella has a custom set.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 04:53:08 AM »
I have a Squier VI (and have been playing it a lot) , the strings on the Gretsch are a little closer together so fingerstyle gets cramped , but not impossible . I find chords in the lower positions don’t always work EtoE it’s just too muddy , but AtoA they’re fine . So I got baritone strings . Chords just ring !
I’ve heard that if you’re going to use the Bigsby a lot you should pick up a roller bridge , and the tuning will hold up better . There’s a drop in replacement . So far I haven’t used the bar much .
We’ll see , I’ll probably pick one up.
I may wind up selling it to a friend for a project we’re starting , or may fall for it and hang on to it . It’s an enjoyable rabbit hole I did not anticipate . It’s wonderful to be retired and curious .
It will possess some serious twang with fresh strings , and that’s what we’re looking for .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 10:47:06 AM »
Sounds delightful!!

And I freely confess to loving the look of the Gretsch instruments.