Author Topic: Bass aboard a plane - new ruling!  (Read 4066 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bass aboard a plane - new ruling!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
They have vertical cabin closets?

Tsk, tsk, tsk, not much of a Business Class traveller, huh? Gotta do something about your Air Cannuck Aeroplan Miles

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/

for that coming upgrade, Jake. There are alternatives too:

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online/portal/mam/hr/program/partner/detail?nodeid=2497401&l=en

PS: For the avoidance of doubt: I only travel Business Class - whether professionally or private - from 4 hours flight time on upwards. And only for one thing: leg room, I could care less about the amenities. Give me a bottle of water and some legroom and I'm fine.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
Never traveled anything but "Economy seat on the wing," and not likely to.  Too expensive.  But I'm happy that you can afford to do so...someone has to keep the airlines in business.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »
They have vertical cabin closets?

Yep.  That's where they hung my daughter's wedding dress when she flew from Wichita to Rochester, NY last year.  She wasn't going to check that!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
I understand!

A nice flight attendant will put your guitar or bass in a vertical closet even if you are travelling economy, I have had that happen to me when I was travelling with a bass in a gig bag - economy.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
This topic got me interested in seeing what airfares are now.  I had assumed that since the price of oil had gone down, airfares would be going down, too.  But it appears that for the most part the airlines are simply pocketing their unexpected profits from cheap oil.  An article I just read had this to say:

airlines are "doing good things" with the extra money, but they're doing them "for everyone except the consumer."

airlines really don't have to listen to customers anymore, and they're not. They're listening to their bottom line."  (Because mergers have decreased competition.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:44:48 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:50 AM »
Seems to me that most airlines create "customer service" policies as little more than window dressing.  Meanwhile they're charging for everything but the air you breathe.  Book through their site or use their credit card and they throw you a couple of bones in terms of baggage charges or seating priority.

Southwest Airlines seems to be the most aware of how people respond to their policy changes.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
"Meanwhile they're charging for everything but the air you breathe."

Not true. Even that is a cost factor - they intentionally cut back on the oxygen percentage in the cabin air supply. That is why you tend to drowse off and why alcohol hits you twice as hard up in the air.  Or some people have headaches. Flying is like mountain climbing.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
The alternative is that the fuselage pops... then everyone falls out of the sky... too late for the oxy masks then... :vader:

No "oxygen" is used, just pressurisation of air cycled in from the outside world... I used to get the dubious pleasure of cleaning 747 pressure-relief valves, and scraping off 1/4" thick nicotine/tar deposits... :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...