Author Topic: 1967 NR Bird in Kerry Green  (Read 9827 times)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
Re: 1967 NR Bird in Kerry Green
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
    Yes, that's the one I sold to Dave. He still has it AFAIK, but I think he plays his Fenderbirds mostly now.That is probably the nicest restoration I have ever done.....absolutely gorgeous.  Wish I still had that one too!!   The '64 reverse IV I did Polaris came out killer too.....I'll see if I can dig up some pix of that one. You have all these pix of my basses....do you have a pic of my wife naked too?  LOL LOL  Just kidding.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »
Over the years I've saved every picture I've seen of basses that I thought looked cool, with a large number of those being birds. It wouldn't surprise me if I had pictures of every bass owned by the denizens of this place and a few others. :)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
     I had zillions of pix of my old guitars and basses that I lost when my computer got stolen back in '03. My fault for not putting them onto disc. All my files since then are backed up. I lost all my restoration pix of all the 60's Fender basses, Firebirds, my Hiwatt collection, and a lot of irreplacable stuff prior to '03. Guys, BACK UP YOR FILES~~~~
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
    Tore00, don't let what I have posted here scare you off the bass. IMO, Any refin solid color 60's T-Bird should be suspect for hidden 'undisclosed' repairs. The seller was only told what he was told, and the seller before that what he was told, and so forth.
     It's better that you know it's real history like this one from '66 to '04, rather than having it represented as 'never broken' and find out later that it has a replacement headstock or some such situation the previous owner didn't know about either..... I have seen a lot of broken/repaired 60's T-Birds and Firebirds in my 40 years of collecting, restoring them, and playing them and this is one where you know the issues. I can't speak for it's history after 2004, but like I said, I would love to own it again if I was looking for one. I wish I knew what the reserve was..... Given what I have told you about the history of this bass, what do you all think it is worth?  I got my number...Let's help our Bro Tore00 make an informed buy here, IF he is still interested......Chime in, 60's 'Bird lovers!!                     

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 05:32:13 PM »
That Kerry Green bass was my first Non Reverse bass. Like Tony said, GREAT BASS!!!! Tony also got both of those white NR and Reverse carcus's from me. He does great work. Well...I just took the NR Basket case I bought to my guitar tech today. He said it's got a nice straight neck, solid headstock repair, a few little repairs needed and paint and I should be back in business!!! Oh..my old boss at work made some new saddles for the bass because I couldn not find any ANYWHERE!!!! Exact Killer duplicates of the originals!!!! Dimensions are dead on!!!

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »
     Joe has an uncanny ability to find 'restorable' 60's T-Bird basses. The '64 reverse IV I eluded to also came from Joe. Unfortunately for me, LOL,  he has learned how to do his own killer restorations and has created some incredible 8 and 12 string T-Bird NR basses as well. Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick is touring with one of Joe's creations as we speak!   8 string NR in Coral Pink!!!
     Good to hear Joe echo my thoughts on this Kerry Green NR. Joe is a Trade-A-Holic and I know he wishes he had it back too!  If we only knew then what we know now!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
Great background, Tony. Always good when you can let someone know what he would really be getting if he buys it.

If it's priced reasonably, I wouldn't be scared of it. OTOH if the seller doesn't know the history, he might be asking too much.

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
    I agree that the percieved value is based on the known history of the bass. I'm not intending to undermine the seller of the bass, but the potential buyers of the bass need to know it's history if it can be documented...if it is indeed the bass in question, I truly know it's history....for good and for bad. A great bass regardless of it's history. I'd rather know than not know where it has been over the decades.  Makes it worth more IMO, knowing it's true history. More than some nameless, faceless, sanded off serial number solid color refin possibly hiding who knows what under that purdy custom color finish.
    My restoration partner  recently took on a perfectly unbroken '64 Firebird III with beautiful grain, killer 9 ply laminations, and a PERFECT candidate for a 60's 'burst.  Highlite the unbroken beautiful mahogany, right?  The client wanted it done in Frost Blue...PERIOD.  It was such a shame to do that guitar a solid color... Turned out great.... but would have been KILLER with a great 'Burst showing off the unbroken and rare gorgeous mahogany and laminations..... The customer is always right? IMO not in this case! Nothing we could say could sway him.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
Tony, actually Tom P has another Kerry Green Non-Reverse, the first bass I ever painted (17 coats PPG Acrylic Lacquer!!!!) Mark Hills has the  Tahiti Coral 8 string and Jon Maye has the Korina 8 string. I only have my 2 '65's , the 12ver T bird and now a raped and beaten but restorable NR IV.  But...I ALWAYS have gears rolling...A Korina NR Bass??? Or a Korina Futura 4 or 8 string bass???? I'm really sick. But MANY Thanks for your compliments!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »

"Mark Hills has the  Tahiti Coral 8 string and Jon Maye has the Korina 8 string."

Shhhhhhh......Joe  ;)  I like being Ze Fraulein  ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »
    I just pulled up Gibson Thunderbird on Ebay and don't see the Kerry Green '67 Bass. But, it still comes up in the link that started the thread, and is recieving bids....Shows July 4th as end date. What gives?  Any ideas what this beautiful Bird will go for?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 05:27:27 AM »
My saved search for Thunderbird in musical instruments finds it. It shows up low on the first page searching descriptions and sorting by newly listed.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 05:32:41 AM »
Shhhhhhh......Joe  ;)  I like being Ze Fraulein  ;D

A rose, by any other name... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 05:42:30 AM »

I stripped it as the checking was so bad that it would almost cut you if you ran your hand over it.

I then got some Cardinal Red at the local auto paint store and painted it

refin it Kerry Green.

Either he or Scott refinned it again the same color.

And it still has a serial number?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 06:31:28 AM »
SORRY, Fraulein Rommell!!! I like being Baz Cooper myself.