8 (34.8%)
1 11/16
2 (8.7%)
1 3/4
5 (21.7%)
1 9/16
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Fave nut width.  (Read 2715 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fave nut width.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 04:47:28 PM »
To be honest, I've never used the carbon rods and really haven't felt the need for them.  They can make the neck overly stiff and add weight from what I've read, although minimal. ( :bored:.............waiting for Dave to weigh in tell me the error of my ways..................)

No error of your ways, IMHO, just a matter of preference. Making a neck stiffer will change the sound, and depending on the sound you're looking for, that may not be a good thing. No one wants a banana neck, but you can build a neck that's stiff enough without carbon fibers.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
I think the depth of the neck will influence how well you can incorporate the rods as well as the width.  I like a neck with a bit of meat to it though I don't like the baseball bat feel.

I'm wondering how a hybrid width might be received as it looks like 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 are the most popular.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:21:37 PM by Lightyear »

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
I think the depth of the neck will influence how well you can incorporate the rods as well as the width.  I like a neck with a bit of meat to it though I don't like the baseball bat feel.

I'm wondering how a hybrid width might be received as it looks like 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 are the most popular.

I'm going with one and 5/8 for this first batch! I would like to leave the poll up, if no-one objects. Not only the votes, but the comments are very helpful and informative. Thanks all. :thumbsup:
Fleet Guitars

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
I see. We don't have heat or humidity problems here!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 05:27:32 AM »
Of course there is more to it than just width. Although they are both 1 1/2", I love the Thunderbird neck, but have never found a Jazz bass that I was comfortable with. My favorive neck is built by Carvin, is 1.6" at the nut, very slender front to back, and the oil finish feels wonderful.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »
Of course there is more to it than just width. Although they are both 1 1/2", I love the Thunderbird neck, but have never found a Jazz bass that I was comfortable with. My favorive neck is built by Carvin, is 1.6" at the nut, very slender front to back, and the oil finish feels wonderful.

Always been a bit curious about Carvin. They look as though they would sound and play well. The logo is absolutely fuggly however. At the risk of sounding shallow, I ve always felt Peavey would have been perceived more favorably as a pro piece of equipment without that horrendous logo.
Logos matter, look what just happened to The Gap stores with their attempt at a new one.
Fleet Guitars

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 07:45:22 AM »
I personally always like the pre-cbs flat wide P bass or a 64 thunderbird thin like a j bass.