Author Topic: What exotic or unusual Gibson trinkets are you hiding...?  (Read 19994 times)

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: What exotic or unusual Gibson trinkets are you hiding...?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 08:36:20 AM »
Humina, Humina, Humina
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17:08 AM »
Humina, Humina, Humina

Channeling Jackie Gleason, are we?

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
Har har, hardee har har!
-Dave

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Bang, zoom, that's a great cartoon!
-Dave

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
Nik - cute or what...! if you're gonna start em, start em young...!

BV - what is your name...? Dave has found a very obscure link to this post as Alice's maiden name before marrying Ralph was "GIBSON"...! never heard of the programme before, though...  ;)

Scott, my BUTCHER BROTHER, but what of the USofA bands you saw when you were a kid that I wished I had seen - ever seen GFR...? Doobies...? Allmans with Duane and/or Berry...? Black Oak...? Mountain with Felix...? - post a list of some seventies bands you saw and see how many times I flinch - as I noted elsewhere, you seldom notice what's in your own backyard when you're lookin' over the fence...  ;D
When I first saw Slade in '73 I was 14 and they were at there peak, playing an NME "Best Band/Live Act" show at Wembley Arena (10,000 seater), pre "Merry Xmas" (which is played to death every winter) and they played all the hits... the support was a band I took no notice of (Home - "best new act") but featured Laurie Wisefield, who went onto Wishbone Ash (another band I saw quite often), and Cliff Williams, who went on to AC/DC, but they got  polite reception - the place erupted when Slade hit the stage, but I could not tell you with any certainty what they played, but I've still got my prog... I remember when they made a comeback seeing them several times, most notably at Donnington (supporting Whitesnake?) and  a Xmas show (Noddy came on as Santa), but during the summer gig he managed to get 40,000 people singing Merry X in the pouring rain...  8)
Your bass is really something else, I think I came across it in another post... Is it a Gibson, a Birch or a one you made yourself...? looks a beaut... 8) 8) 8)
One minor point, can't find it again but did I see a guilty secret hiding at the edge of the pic of the B'bird...? a Fury...? I have a similar problem re kits... Sabre Jets are one of my weaknesses, but I finally got to see the "THUNDERBIRDS" do a full display, for real 2 summers back... If I was seeing things, put it done to my strange behaviour...  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:05:26 PM by Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic...! »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

BV - what is your name...? Dave has found a very obscure link to this post as Alice's maiden name before marrying Ralph was "GIBSON"...! never heard of the programme brfore, though...  ;)

Ken, or whatever your name is now, my name was something ripped off of a magazine advertisement for Billy Sheehan. Then I took the virtuoso thing to a different level and went with the 2001 avatar of Dave Bowman since my name is Dave.
-Dave

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Ken's real name's R2D2.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
We also have Dave (PWV) and Dave (Essential Tension). Maybe more.

I would write a poem called Too Many Daves but Dr. Seuss beat me to it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
"My thread is going, I can feel it..."

Dave-BV... pleasure to be an acquaintance... the name is still Ken, or Mainiac, or the birdman of Osterley, or Captain Pugwash, or R2D2, or Moses (parting of the [hair] waves), or Doc (Murdoch, as in Howling Mad), or perhaps best not to go on...
The more nicknames a Gemini has, the less you should trust them... oops...

The (temp) name is a Scottish expression, loosely translates as great health for when I see you and when I don't - the most common one is Slainte Mhath (slaaansh vaaa) meaning good health but commonly interpreted as "cheers"...  ;) - runs nicely with Scurrius and St Patricks, even if he was Irish... I'm toying with settling on T' BaRD '59 - T' (the) Bard (a family tradition), RD (my abused Gibson) and my vintage, also a play on someone-elses Bi-line...  :mrgreen:

You have what I consider to be one of the coolest avatar/bylines I've seen, but then I'm a big fan of the film...  :popcorn:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Wow Ken, the more I agree with you, the more I need start having my own head checked. Gemini here as well, guess we're all a bit dual in our nature. H.M. Murdock is actually one of my favorite characters, and now that I get to thinking harder, I may be just as crazy as you, I just hold it in better.  ;D

Glad you like the avatar/byline, it's what I imagine Uwe saying when he sees any of Mark's 'Birds.
-Dave

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
Nik - cute or what...! if you're gonna start em, start em young...!

BV - what is your name...? Dave has found a very obscure link to this post as Alice's maiden name before marrying Ralph was "GIBSON"...! never heard of the programme brfore, though...  ;)

Scott, my BUTCHER BROTHER, but what of the USofA bands you saw when you were a kid that I wished I had seen - ever seen GFR...? Doobies...? Allmans with Duane and/or Berry...? Black Oak...? Mountain with Felix...? - post a list of some seventies bands you saw and see how many times I flinch - as I noted elsewhere, you seldom notice what's in your own backyard when you're lookin' over the fence...  ;D
When I first saw Slade in '73 I was 14 and they were at there peak, playing an NME "Best Band/Live Act" show at Wembley Arena (10,000 seater), pre "Merry Xmas" (which is played to death every winter) and they played all the hits... the support was a band I took no notice of (Home - "best new act") but featured Laurie Wisefield, who went onto Wishbone Ash (another band I saw quite often), and Cliff Williams, who went on to AC/DC, but they got  polite reception - the place erupted when Slade hit the stage, but I could not tell you with any certainty what they played, but I've still got my prog... I remember when they made a comeback seeing them several times, most notably at Donnington (supporting Whitesnake?) and  a Xmas show (Noddy came on as Santa), but during the summer gig he managed to get 40,000 people singing Merry X in the pouring rain...  8)
Your bass is really something else, I think I came across it in another post... Is it a Gibson, a Birch or a one you made yourself...? looks a beaut... 8) 8) 8)
One minor point, can't find it again but did I see a guilty secret hiding at the edge of the pic of the B'bird...? a Fury...? I have a similar problem re kits... Sabre Jets are one of my weaknesses, but I finally got to see the "THUNDERBIRDS" do a full display, for real 2 summers back... If I was seeing things, put it done to my strange behaviour...  :mrgreen:
The Bass is built by John Diggens of Jaydee guitars. John worked at Birch in the 70's and built Jimmy's bass. Jim put up his Birch bass as a pattern for mine and Jim even signed it. Also John Diggens took the distortion volume control from Jim's bass and installed it on mine. Here is a pic of Jimmy in the shop with mine and his 70's band I'll have to think on that but I did see Wishbone Ash in '72 !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »
''One minor point, can't find it again but did I see a guilty secret  hiding at the edge of the pic of the B'bird...? a Fury...? I have a similar problem re kits..''  LOL Yeah Ken I still build model planes, Aviation history is second only to basses as far as interests go.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »
Oh My Gawd... maybe closer to butcher twins than brothers...  8)

That bass is going SUB ZERO with icicles on...

I wonder if his original EB3 ever re-surfaced...?

Like playing, only got back to kit building about a year back - last finished were a minature Orion (2001) about an inch in length, a TSR2 (1/72 - recently got the 1/48 - this was, sort of, Concordes sister - the british govt (rumour has it) took a massive back-hander to buy the F1/11 and took the extreme action of shooting the only flying example to very small pieces on a gunnery range - no joke - 2 still exist, in museums, and the RAF still smart about this to this day - probably the last truly British military aircraft, and a beauty to boot...), a minature Valkyre, a minature TU144... a 1/48 Typhoon (Eurofighter - beautiful to see in flight) is in hand, and a BEA Viscount (first thing I flew on in the early 60's) - future plans are an internally lit NCC1701D (custom), the BIG Revell Saturn V and a Catalina (a personal favourite - a flying example is based near London and makes regular show appearances - looking out for a good Sabre Jet to make up in RAF colours... oops, did I go off thread...  :mrgreen:

forgot a 1/72 Concorde..... NO, GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT WHITE JACKET... I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT LITTLE WHITE ROOM...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:10:03 PM by Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic...! »