Author Topic: 2 RD Artist pups, a Mudbucker and an EMG... how best to wire up...?  (Read 782 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
As noted elsewhere, my RD had a tragedy some decades past and is now on the way back to normality, sound wise, + a refin ...

The Moog is long dead and buried but the undamaged pup runs fine on a 500k pot in the bridge position, passive, and the damaged one in the same position on my Peter Cook "Tequilabird" Custom, same wiring...

Thanks to George I now have a slice of 70's Mud to fit in the neck position on the T'bird (albeit I will need to do some minor mods to the internals as there is no way to rout the space required, but not tragically, just a strip and resolder, plus line the cavity to screen the lower end of the coils), also, thanks to Tony (Tubehead), I also have a 20/20 pup (which did not suit, soundwise, but fits the neck slot of the RD, as was noted when sent) which I intend to remove the original coil and fit an EMG select, same type that I have on my Hohner Jack... I like the sound of these pups and I have it, so QED... this will mean I do not have to mess with mounting an odd sized pup in the RD's big pup slot...

I prefer not to run with much in the way, and mostly no tone control, but as I now 2 basses to rewire I would appreciate some suggestions...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
I'd go with 3 volume controls with 500K pots.
If you want, you can put push-pull 500K pots wired like killswitches for the pups, so you can turn off whatever pup you want by pulling out its volume pot.

edit: there's a schematic. On the left is the simple (just vol controls) on the right the more complicated with the three push-pulls.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:10:29 AM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.