Author Topic: Putting a Kahler on it.  (Read 850 times)

Blazer

Putting a Kahler on it.
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
Okay I'm sure you're all aware of my self built Explorer, from either the building process pictures or from the fact that I have been using it as my main live guitar with Slavantas.

Originally my Explorer had a top loading non trem strat bridge but because our music needs whammy bar action I installed a Washburn "Wonder bar" double locking trem but it had a trouble attached to it.

Because as you can tell from this picture, the string spacing is much too wide presenting problems with the string alignment with the pole pieces of the pickups as well as the fact that both E strings were on the very edge of the fingerboard.

Well I learned to play with those short comings but always kept my eyes open for a better system here and I found it.

The cool thing about the Kahler is that the string spacing can be adjusted (which is not the case with the Washburn) so finally I have the strings where I want them to be, making for much better playing guitar.

The only thing I have to get used to is how smooth the Kahler is, the Washburn was much stiffer in feel but I don't think that it'll take me too much time.

I heard a lot of talk about Kahler bridges sucking the tone away from your guitar, I can't say that that's the case with my explorer though, if anything I like the sound better than how it was with the Washburn.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Putting a Kahler on it.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:19:15 AM »
Looks good.  You can't beat a bridge with adjustable string spacing!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Putting a Kahler on it.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
I have a buddy that built a star with a maple strat neck in 1980 or 81 and put an original Kahler on it. He's preferred them ever since and that star is one of the best sounding rock guitars I've ever heard. No tone problems there.