Author Topic: 8 string NR Thunderbird  (Read 2925 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
8 string NR Thunderbird
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
 I have wanted a 8 or 12 string bass for years but could never justify the purchase. Joe's 8 string NR has pushed me over the edge so I am starting to build my own. The body blank is cut out, I will run it through the thickness planer next week. I have a Lindy Fralin Bassbucker lying around so that's what is going to power it. I will most likely use a Warmoth neck, I may do a set neck or just bolt the F'er on there. I'm thinking Pelham Blue.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 8 string NR Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »
Cool idea.  It's better to build it anyway!  Keep us in the loop with pictures!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
I have wanted a 8 or 12 string bass for years but could never justify the purchase. Joe's 8 string NR has pushed me over the edge so I am starting to build my own. The body blank is cut out, I will run it through the thickness planer next week. I have a Lindy Fralin Bassbucker lying around so that's what is going to power it. I will most likely use a Warmoth neck, I may do a set neck or just bolt the F'er on there. I'm thinking Pelham Blue.

Nice! Beware of neck dive though. The Warmoth necks are nice, but the 8 string one I had was super chunky, and they inlay steel bars under the fingerboard, so it's HEAVY!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
This may be totally off the wall but how about a more standard neck and some tuners at the south end, or a modified Steinberger bridge idea...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I have been thinking about the body thickness. NRs are 1 1/4" awfully thin, I think I will go for a thicker body. Not sure how thick toying with 1 5/8" or a little less. Pics next week just a cut out blank right now not much to show.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »
Scott!!! I just dropped off my Non-Reverse  Korina body and Gibson ripper neck to have it assembled today!!! I'm going for set neck, with one Mike Lull T Bird pickup (unless I can find an Orville), yellow tinted Nitro, Hamer bridge/tailpiece, Schaller tuners. Ebony fingerboard. BLACK PICKGUARD. Those Gibson Necks on Ebay are the EXACT same size as the Warmoths!!! I will ppost pics as soon as progress is started!!!!! SERIOUSLY...DOES ANYBODY HAVE ONE, JUST ONE ORVILLE T BIRD PICKUP LAYING AROUND???? I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY $250.00 FOR IT.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »
Sorry Joe I have never even held one in my hand

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »
Yes I would !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am working on the mistress of finance right now.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
Back to the 8 string NR, I thickness planed the body to 1 1/2" I toyed with 1 5/8" but I thought the bass would lose the NR feel, a little neck dive LMFAO. I hope to do some routing over the week end. Pics soon.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 05:39:10 AM »
The body is now 1 1/2"  thick, I like this dimension I think the bass will feel right. Doesn't look like much at the moment, could be any one of my builds.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:35:37 PM by godofthunder »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
How's the balance?  if you use a 34" scale neck and 8 tuners, I'm concerned about that...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:04 AM »
LMAO When I say feel right I mean I plan on it to be a little neck heavy ! just like a real NR. I was going to do a 1 5/8" body but I really like the NRs 1 1/4" inch body so 1 1/2" is a compromise.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »
Maybe you should plan on a little extra cover plate down low on the back, over a cavity where you could load in about 16 oz of lead to balance it.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:39:28 PM »
Lookin' good!!! Are you puttin a T bird pickup in that? My guy is going to get started on the mortis/tenon joint, ebony fingerboard installation, tuners bridge, etc. i'll send pics when it's moving along. Still need a black white black .60 pickguard and a pickup. Waiting for Lull to get some in.