Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

JB Ric

<< < (6/6)

Pekka:

--- Quote from: uwe on December 22, 2009, 12:19:59 PM ---Exactly. And Geezer hated it. As Glenn Hughes had (reverting to Fender P on subsequent DP Mk III tours). In theory, an aggressive bass like the Ric and Glenn Hughes' upfront playing were a match made in heaven, in practice it didn't work. Glenn plays the Ric throughout the Burn album and unlike Roger Glover (a much less upfront player than Glenn) is hardly heard at all with it (whereas Glover's Ric sound on MH, MIJ and WDWTWA is to cream in your pants for). The Ric is - hard to believe - buried in the mix though the album was again engineered by Martin Birch who has a reputation of mixing bass sounds loud.

--- End quote ---

And still some want to believe that Glenn played the 4001 on "Made In Europe".:)

Hornisse:
You mean they lied!!  :o   ;)

All these years I've always thought it sounded like a Ric.

Pekka:

--- Quote from: Hörnisse on June 13, 2010, 11:13:50 AM ---

All these years I've always thought it sounded like a Ric.

--- End quote ---

Some of the pics (the front cover for example) are from "Burn" tour and the album was compiled from recordings made in the spring of '75.

Big_Stu:

--- Quote from: Barklessdog on December 15, 2009, 01:21:59 PM ---Here-

http://forums.vintageguitars.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2051

Never saw one before.

--- End quote ---

I'm getting that the link is no good. I followed it back to the site & I think they moved it (because it's not a Rick & he posted in Ricks is my guess???)
If it's the one in "Other names" I'm afraid he'll be disappointed. I saw two just like it on Ebay in the past two years, kept a pic of one of them somewhere. John was a bit of a rascal & would tell you what he thought you wanted to hear, he was also very old & had a bit of a foggy memory sometimes.
He died in Oct/Nov of 2000, just after building my bass, the ones online now are made by his buisness partner who's been OK'd to use John's name. £1400 your cash!

Magnum pups are incredible, at the time 70's/80s they were by far the loudest available, hence their use in Metal/rock guitars & basses. I've got two in my Birch bass & one in an SG Junior. It's impossible to get a clean tone out of the SG but it does cut oak trees down at 500 yards  :mrgreen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version