Author Topic: THREE POINT REPACEMENT?  (Read 3964 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: THREE POINT REPACEMENT?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »
That's not ugly at all, reminds me a bit of the Evertilt in look which wasn't so much an ugly bridge as it was a non-functional one (unless of course - Dave's Hypothetical Stringholder Theorem - it would have had a stringholder, but then it didn't). Not that I have issues with the Holy Immaculate Trinity Point, but there are obviously sinners, heathens and pagans out there who do!  :mrgreen:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Surprised that there is no tilt (despite string holder) due to the offset mounting, but if it works then great.  I like it.  I just  have no issue with any of my 3 points, though if I had to install a bridge on a new bass I probably wouldn't use one if I had other options (it's so much easier when the mounting posts are in line with the saddle-travel's midpoint).  What I do especially like about the 3 point applies to archtops only (or , I suppose any flat top with a similalr drastic neck break angle) - due to the tri-mounting, you can tilt them to be parallel to the neck/strings, vs the body.  The bridge seems to perform better this way.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
It's a much underrated American design!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
Sign me up!
You'll be a great beta tester Scott!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
Lookin' Good!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
  I had given thought to having the Badbird modded for this purpose. I would have had to have had samples made up with more travel, in the end I decided it wasn't worth it. The Badbird is made in USA and is specifically for vintage Thunderbirds and the cost reflects that. I couldn't make anything on these aimed at the modern Epi/Gibson Thunderbird market.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
  I had given thought to having the Badbird modded for this purpose. I would have had to have had samples made up with more travel, in the end I decided it wasn't worth it. The Badbird is made in USA and is specifically for vintage Thunderbirds and the cost reflects that. I couldn't make anything on these aimed at the modern Epi/Gibson Thunderbird market.

It won't be cheap, $125 delivered is the target price with shipping.  It's not like it's a necessity.  After all, that tone killing hunk of sound deadening pot metal known as the Three Point is a magnificent piece of inbred engineering.  Steve will make the bridges/tailpieces one at a time.  I'm just doing the design work.  Except for that Epi TBird the only thing I own with a 3 point is my '77 Bicentennial and it's 3 point problem has been solved with no mods to the body...look ma, actual break angle.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:51 AM »
Again, as a bona-fide 3-point lover on my Epi LP Standard, all the break angle talk got me to thinking, because I don't have any trouble with break angle on my Epi Les Paul Standard, but when I look at the bass from the side the reason is obvious: the carved top slopes down below the bridge and the the stud mounts are set a good ways BELOW the actual end of the string travel, creating a backward pitch on the 3-point bridge and overcoming its inherent lack of break angle. I also play with a higher setup than most folks, which helps too. On something like a T-Bird without a negative pitch on the back of the three point, unless the studs were set REALLY high and the neck pitched down pretty far, it would definitely be a vibration killer.

Maybe the 3-point was designed for a carved top bass, and was so expensive to produce that Gibson just stuck it on everything because it was so big and "uptown gaudy" like most of their aesthetics. Back when the bridge was introduced, sustain was probably the LAST quality their perspective customers were looking for, since most of them were guitar players or were trying to emulate the lifeless thump of upright basses on recordings from that era. One thing to say about the the 3-point is that it certainly LOOKS unique, a look I like.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Sorry not so clear as I e'd them from the shed just as quickie images... it shows that the posts are smaller and slightly inset from the USA parts, hopefully...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Sorry not so clear as I e'd them from the shed just as quickie images... it shows that the posts are smaller and slightly inset from the USA parts, hopefully...

Thanks, Kenny.  Yeah the Epi one uses m8 thread, USA uses 5/16-24.  I made the plate to fit both.  Gathering resources.