Author Topic: Mel Schacher  (Read 19557 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Mel Schacher
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 06:53:55 AM »
Actually, I think that Grand Funk were severely underrated as a band. From their raw beginnings which were more charming than musical, the band developed quickly both songwriting and groove-wise. Plus they had characteristic, non-anodyne vocals. Mark Farner was no Blackmore, but then he needn't be. For the hard rock field, he was a relatively sparse and tasteful lead guitarist. (Let's just shroud that godawful, disjointed solo in Locomotion in silence, ok?) Their Motown influence came more and more to the front as they matured. And I think Craig Frost joining them on organ did loads for the musicality of their sound.

I always regarded critics knocking Grand Funk as unmusical as a typical case of people nurturing their preconceptions as opposed to really listening to what went on on those later albums. Bad Time - an immediate  Motown Classic had a black vocal group recorded it - was miles away from their Blue Cheerish beginnings. I guess it would have helped had Mark Farner worn a shirt on stage, but you can't have it all.

Giv'em some credit.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:58:59 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »
I just really liked Mark Farner's vocals a lot.  It's true I didn't like some of the Grand Funk songs as time went on (such as Locomotion,) but it isn't uncommon for a band to change musical direction as it puts out more and more albums. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
i didn't like farner's band much or his christian/right wing politics. nugent lite?  and i will forever think he was the weakest guitarist at that time working in a major band, no matter how politely uwe spins it.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
I think Grand Funk's Locomotion beats both the original and the later version of the blond Aussie soap-opera star! Judging from the solo in the Grand Funk version, it was very, errrm, spirited session and that shows in a good way. I don't think they were entirely serious about the song, but they nailed its goodtime-feel. And just like with "Some kind of wonderful", I think as Detroit (Flint) boys their argument was credible that this was music they grew up with and liked. Nascent Grand Funk already had the Motown influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgXsIBioLI&feature=related

I think that Farner's convictions only developed over time (alienating him from his bandmates in the process, his liner comments on their three CD anthology are achingly "world conspiracy" nutcase), I can't hear a pro-Vietnam-intervention stance in "I'm your Captain/Closer to my home" though and I never found "We're an American Band" mindless in its good-natured patriotism. Hey, they even name-checked Bill Clinton's birthplace several decades ahead of his presidency!  :mrgreen:

By the time Farner wrote lines like "the only way to keep America number one is for every brother to have a gun!" (on a Frank Zappa produced album!), I winced (not only about the leaden rhyme, pun intended!). But the world is full of musicians who don't exactly share my political beliefs, nor do they have to: Bryan Ferry, Alice Cooper, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Neil Peart (in his Ayn Rand phase he claims to have left behind) etc being among them. I think it's perfectly fine to do that unless you become an inane rambling idiot like Ted Nugent who wouldn't be any better if he was advocating communism.

Another euphemism: I found Farner's guitar playing always muscular and organic. Not a metal axe hero at all. The Jim Dandy/Black Oak Arkansas look just pigeon holed him.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:29:35 AM by uwe »

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »
Have to agree w/Uwe about GFR and being in a band back then their stuff was pretty easy to cop. Todd Rundgren produced "Locomotion", could account for the solo, lol. I also liked "Can You Do It" that Zappa produced off the Good Singin Good Playin LP.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
Actually, I think that Grand Funk were severely underrated as a band. From their raw beginnings which were more charming than musical, the band developed quickly both songwriting and groove-wise. Plus they had characteristic, non-anodyne vocals. Mark Farner was no Blackmore, but then he needn't be. For the hard rock field, he was a relatively sparse and tasteful lead guitarist. (Let's just shroud that godawful, disjointed solo in Locomotion in silence, ok?) Their Motown influence came more and more to the front as they matured. And I think Craig Frost joining them on organ did loads for the musicality of their sound.

I always regarded critics knocking Grand Funk as unmusical as a typical case of people nurturing their preconceptions as opposed to really listening to what went on on those later albums. Bad Time - an immediate  Motown Classic had a black vocal group recorded it - was miles away from their Blue Cheerish beginnings. I guess it would have helped had Mark Farner worn a shirt on stage, but you can't have it all.

Giv'em some credit.

I have always loved GFR in large part to Mel's contribution. His place in the mix is right where the bass should be, his tone on this track in particular is fantastic. It sounds like the bass has two tracks, one clean the other slightly dirty, however he did it it sounds great.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »

I didn't know it until fairly recently, but Mel Schacher played bass for Question Mark and the Mysterians.  According to Wikepedia, at age 16 he was touring with them, promoting their bizarre hit "96 Tears."  I don't know enough about his biography to elaborate on that, though. 

He toured with them toward the end of their original existence, well after 96 Tears was off the charts. I suppose it's accurate to say they were promoting it since it was their big hit and only one or two other singles ever charted.

Chaser001

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »
He toured with them toward the end of their original existence, well after 96 Tears was off the charts. I suppose it's accurate to say they were promoting it since it was their big hit and only one or two other singles ever charted.

It wasn't clear to me from what I read what the time frame on that was.  I was assuming, though, that Mel probably did not actually play on the recording of "96 Tears."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:36:56 AM by Chaser001 »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
He discussed it when he did the interview with Vintage Guitar magazine about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I don't have the issue anymore.

Chaser001

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »
He discussed it when he did the interview with Vintage Guitar magazine about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I don't have the issue anymore.

I think that would be a much more accurate source than Wikipedia that I was reading. 

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
a garage band that happened to write some catchy tunes....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
Sounds like a Ripper on Bad Time, certainly not like a single coil Jazz.

Hornisse

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »

I agree Uwe.  The live LP Caught In The Act which was released right after All The Girls In The World Beware has photo's of Mel with both a LPB Precision Bass and a Natural Ripper.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
nice threads, mel. :puke:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »

Could be, but don't forget that he installed a mudbucker in the Jazz as soon as he got it.

nice threads, mel. :puke:

It was the 70s.