Author Topic: here it is the new EB Bass!  (Read 16520 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: here it is the new EB Bass!
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
I just can't dig it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
As a new Gibson model i think it's quite nice. However, they use the first electric bass model name once again though it's nowhere near a '53 EB. OTOH they've made reissues of a model that never existed. Gibson have had their bass production history sucked into a black hole I guess.

Reissue of a model that never existed.   That's funny because it's both absurd and true.  

It's not a reuse or reissue of the old name. The new bass is called the "EB Bass". The violin bass was never called that. It was just called the Electric Bass in '53, not the EB. Then it was called EB-1 from '54-'58.  

As I said in the earlier thread, in this case the EB stands for Ernie Ball.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
"I think my IV looks nicer than that, and the IV looks like it was designed in the dark by three committees who were not permitted to share information."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: From what I heard how the design came about from Phil Jones, that is pretty much exactly what happened. They wanted something quick to replace Victories and Q-80ies and -90ies (Henry J), ergonomic, not too expensive, but with TBird traits so the new TB Plus pups could be tested on the market (Phil Jones) and Fenderish looking (the AR people). I think they succeeded! Good looks was on nobody's agenda.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
It's not a reuse or reissue of the old name. The new bass is called the "EB Bass". The violin bass was never called that. It was just called the Electric Bass in '53, not the EB. Then it was called EB-1 from '54-'58.  

Oh, I thought doombass was talking about the SG RI, the reissue of a bass which, strictly speaking, never really existed.  I understand why they called it that, but I think calling it something else would have been better. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
The name is dumb. EB was always a dumb name for anything. They should have called it the Nashville or something.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
While looking for something else I found this:

It is an EB bass. From a 1970 catalog http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1970_bass_6.php

Check out that tort pickguard!

Answers that question and confirms it is an updated reissue of a model that did exist, but was never sold.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
i kinda like it. i mean it's not my favorite but i wouldn't kick it out of bed. but i can't do short scale
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
i kinda like it. i mean it's not my favorite but i wouldn't kick it out of bed. but i can't do short scale

It's long scale.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »

It is an EB bass. From a 1970 catalog http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1970_bass_6.php

Answers that question and confirms it is an updated reissue of a model that did exist, but was never sold.

At least one of those was sold, because there was one in a local shop about 12 years ago. Body was maple.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »
I.

MUST.

HAVE.

IT!!!

REVEAL!

THY!!!

LOCATION!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:09 AM »
It's probably somewhere around town, that store does very little online business. I hadn't thought of it in years, IIRC he had it priced at $1000 which I thought was high at the time.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »

I made a memory check. This is probably why I thought it was called EB from '53-'58 but I will not argue since I was born in the 70's and I have no idea what source these lines derive from:

Gibson 1958 electric guitars and amplifiers catalogue, page 14. Details of two Gibson bass guitars; the newly renamed EB1 (which had been available since 1953 as the EB or electric bass) and the newly launched EB2 making its first catalogue appearance.

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1958_14.php

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »

I've only seen one of these & I can't remember where...... being a cheap model, you would think they would have shipped many.........It might have been the same one Dave saw.... ???
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
I kinda like it.  SG with a P-inspired pickguard.  Kinda like a sundae with chocolate and caramel.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
I've only seen one of these & I can't remember where...... being a cheap model, you would think they would have shipped many.........It might have been the same one Dave saw.... ???

The one I saw was at Encore.