Author Topic: Super Bowl Halftime show  (Read 4177 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Halftime show
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:19 AM »
I can't believe that people had such a hissy that their instruments weren't plugged in.  As their press release says, a zillion things can go wrong and it only makes sense to minimize the chance that something will happen.  I thought the press release was very nicely worded and gave a very reasonable explanation.  
It ain't a concert, it's halftime fill at a Super Bowl.  The priorities are clear.

I agree. Good explanation about their thoughts. (I was wondering whether not putting senders to their guitars was an act of "not pretending to".) I'm no RHCP fan, but one thing you cannot hold against them is that they do not or do not like to play live - in fact they regularly get the stick in reviews for being "too jammy" live and not just delivering their hits. And while much of RHCP's music leaves me indifferent, I think Flea is an expressive bassist, especially when he is not slapping the crap out of his bass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:49:21 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »

Well,

It's the winners parade day here in Seattle, temps in the low '20s, not a cloud in the sky, they expect up to 500.000 folks to show. I'll concede that if you aren't from Denver or Seattle it wasn't much of a game - OTOH if you're from Seattle it was exactly the right game, we needed to bludgeon the Broncos, it puts about 4 decades of really crappy sports teams to rest.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »

Well,

It's the winners parade day here in Seattle, temps in the low '20s, not a cloud in the sky, they expect up to 500.000 folks to show. I'll concede that if you aren't from Denver or Seattle it wasn't much of a game - OTOH if you're from Seattle it was exactly the right game, we needed to bludgeon the Broncos, it puts about 4 decades of really crappy sports teams to rest.

I thought the game was as much about some outstanding planning and coaching.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »
The Superb Owl half time show is an amazing feat of engineering, teamwork, planning, luck, and gigantic tires (so as to not mess up the grass) on equipment carts. They have SIX minutes to get it all ready to rock. I couldn't give a rat's ass if some or all of it is pre-recorded. It's a TV show. Bands have been miming on TV shows forever. They didn't plug in purposely to say "look, we're not really playing this". Bun E Carlos would often set up lefty in those types of situations. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  :rolleyes:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
The Superb Owl half time show is an amazing feat of engineering, teamwork, planning, luck, and gigantic tires (so as to not mess up the grass) on equipment carts. They have SIX minutes to get it all ready to rock. I couldn't give a rat's ass if some or all of it is pre-recorded. It's a TV show. Bands have been miming on TV shows forever. They didn't plug in purposely to say "look, we're not really playing this". Bun E Carlos would often set up lefty in those types of situations. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  :rolleyes:

Notice that Bruno Mars started off with a drum solo?  Cheap Trick has been using "Hello, There" as an opener forever.  It was written as a sound check song, with each instrument coming in one at a time to let the sound man dial in the sound.  Drums are first.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
My firm needs to think about its ads I think ...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/03/the-most-surprising-super-bowl-ad-is-one-most-people-never-saw/

I can almost visualize Uwe with a flaming bass in his hands...swinging away at Milli Vanilli impersonators.

"I no longer tolerate sampled or pre-recorded music...."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
I guess in this day and age, crap like this is to be expected, but it still torques me off.  Long ago in a galaxy not far away, great live shows once happened. The musicians played and the singers sang, and they didn't have to look like Jenifer Lopez to get a gig. But, that was long ago and far away.
At least we still have professional wrestling as our one true sport that will never be comprised ;D.
Rick

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »

Visualize Uwe in spandex!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »
I'm thinking along darker lines; after all, he is our Dark Lord...

My firm needs to think about its ads I think ...

#Hornung's Law... Don't F*ck With Me...! :vader: ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
Lucky me, I'm watching Columbo.

LOL! Awesome.  ;D

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Visualize Uwe in spandex!  ;)

NO!  Please God, noooooooooooo!  ;)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »

Just try bleaching that outta yer brain pan!  :)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
I always picture Uwe dancing around like Dieter.