Author Topic: 1963 Gibson Thunderbird-No Headstock break  (Read 4662 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
1963 Gibson Thunderbird-No Headstock break
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
Here ya go! I've got 2 already. And I just bought a 1974 100 watt DR103 this evening (NOW I AM BROKE as well as unemployed!!!). I couldn't use a credit card so here is what I offer to you guys, My brothers in Thunder:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-GIBSON-1963-THUNDERBIRD-4STR-BASS-1010-106126143-i1733558.gc

They dropped the price down to $2,500.00 plus shipping and tax-about $2,731.00 but after they said that they wouldn't take Paypal...I was out. NO HEADstock break. And a nice plug in the back along with some paint and a Thunderbucker, I'm sure someone would be a Happy Camper!!!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: 1963 Gibson Thunderbird-No Headstock break
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
Better Hurry before Tom Petersson grabs this!!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »
no longer available...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:28 AM »
?????? It's at the Guitar center in Hallendale,Florida. I'm sure it's still there.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:40:37 AM »
I checked the link, and it's showing a price of $3199.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
Ca;; up the GC in Hallendale, Florida and ask to speak to someone in their Vintage dept. Task them about the bird and ask them their ROCK Bottom price. The rest is up to you.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
Yeah....that's the one I had on hold two months back and finally decided to pass on due to all the Guitar Center BULLSH*T, as you know Baz. We agreed it wasn't worth the hassle. Figured it could run $2,000 to restore it right, which would put it around $4,750....when the last couple of non-broken TBirds with nice refins have been in the $4000-4500 range.

I only see the one small front shot on there. I've seen large details shots...the issues:

1) BIG non original PUP...I forget what it actually is. I thought it was a Guild but turned out to be something else I recall. But most likely a routed PUP pocket to deal with.

2) Bass has been stripped (bad sand job) and looks like a monkey refinished it with a brush and didn't seal it first. Open grain with bad clear job. Needs a refin.

3) Someone drilled holes through the body and BOLTED the two of the three tailpiece screws/bolts from the back!! Two nice nuts (that don't even match)  one the back of the body in very crude semi-set holes.

3) Bridge and tuners are original but a bit rough and missing some original parts.

4) Pickguard missing a corner.

5) Headstock black looks like done with rattle can spraypaint and is out of route area/sloppy.

The thing that finally did it for me was the GC policy HASSLE. First....they were supposed to throw in a case and ship it for the agreed upon price. I'd put I think $1500 down on it to hold. A close friend who worked at Guitar Center in Hollywood and deals rare guitars, advised to have them remove the tuners before they shipped it to lessen the chance of them breaking the neck in shipping. He also advised to have them ship it intra-store, to the GC about two miles from me....so I could pick it up there and make sure it was not broken or had other undisclosed issues.

GC refused to do either of those things...had to ship it directly to me. Also would not take the balance without first REFUNDING my $1500 deposit....waiting for it to clear back in my account....and then me having to call back and repay the entire amount...PLUS SHIPPING, CASE. ETC.

So, it started to smell bad. A beater Tbird that they seemed to not want me to see beforehand.
I said forget it and got a refund. It's been hanging in a GC in Florida for around six months and those southern Skynyrd boys love TBirds....and no one there has grabbed it.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
I was the one who advised you to have them remove the tuners, bud, as I even mentioned that to them...and they said that they couldn't do that. Also said that they had the original case as well. Be nice if you could just walk in there. But they have monkeys working there so it's no guarantee if they would even know how to pack it. I bailed and bought a 1974 Hiwatt DR103 last night. I've got 2 '65 Thunderbird II's, one in refin unbroken Pelham Blue and one original one. I think I am pretty much set. Now I need to get my Hamer 8 string thunderbird refinned. Next...when I ever find a job..I'd love a 69 custom shop maple fingerboard white Stratocaster. JIMI!!!!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
I now a guy who lives near me (a horn player around 70 y.o.) who still has a Strat under his bed that Jimi Hendrix GAVE HIM back when they were friends and playing clubs in Greenwich Village in the 60s. He won't sell it though. Says it's too personal a thing to let go. I'm positive it's legit.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
I know of someone who is reported to have one of the consoles from the Funk Factory, AND several rehearsal and demo sessions on reel to reel from there.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
I'd be happy with a 68 or 69 white strat with a maple fingerboard. Very cool, John. I saw a guy a few years ago who owned one of Jimi's Guitars and a full stack. Jeff Marshall experience. He unfortunately died of Luekemia a few years ago so who knows what happend to that stuff.

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »
"We're sorry, but the product that you are searching for is sold out at this time, or is no longer available."

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
Call them.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
GONE. Damn. I was hoping to work out a deal to get this.