Author Topic: Something else to blame Apple for  (Read 5430 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to blame Apple for
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:20:45 AM »
this is cool...
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:39:24 AM »
That's a legend!

I just bought 'Jesus of Cool' of Nick Lowe on CD recently, which has a similar sleeve, but with Nick as a kinda Jesus:)

That album had another title in the US cos they were afraid of the reactions.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:10 AM »
With Yes it was all about the cover art.

I'm restraining myself here, but it's difficult.  ;D

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »
I'm restraining myself here, but it's difficult.  ;D

I attempted to exercise restraint in the matter of "Houses of the Holy", but I was trampled under foot by Ze Glöbal Möderator, so I think you should let it out, whatever it is you're holding in.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
I attempted to exercise restraint in the matter of "Houses of the Holy", but I was trampled under foot by Ze Glöbal Möderator, so I think you should let it out, whatever it is you're holding in.

It would have been another one of my snarky anti-prog comments.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »
What Dave really needs is a gentle prog aversion desensitivation/conditioning like listening to all of Tales of Topographic Oceans on a headset tied to a chair at maximum volume.

Yes, the tried and trusted Ludovico Technique should do it.  By side 3 and the umpteenth synth solo in an awkward time signature, Dave should be more receptive to the whole concept of prog and look something like this:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
I had to look that up to find out what it was.

At least it's not fusion. There -- I've said something about prog that isn't negative.  :)

HornetAMX

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 05:48:24 PM »
I had to think about it (it's been a few years!) but this is one of the covers I bought because it was cool.  And the music was pretty damn good too. (hey, I was 14 when it came out!)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
I remember seeing Black Sabbath's lp under a black light.  Very impressive to a kid.

I actually like my ipod.  If the amount of stuff on there were lps, it would crash through the floor.  Very convenient.  Sounds better than most stuff.  I would say nowadays I divide my listening to 30% Ipod, 60% lp.  The other 10% gets split up over 45s, Cassettes, 8-Tracks, 78s, radio, MDs, CDs and a teensy amount to Reel-to-Reel.  For all intents and purposes, CDs are worthless to me know.  I think they take up too much room in comparison, they are "soul-less" and I haven't bought one for ages. Can't even fathom it.  You can download most classic rock stuff for free now if you know how to look. 
No playtape or hitclips anymore.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
do you remember the moment you discovered RocknRoll ? i do. i remember being a little kid and going through my fathers records.i found the one with the coolest cover.Black Sabbath "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" it's been down hill ever since
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:13:20 AM »
As a kid I had parents listening to terrible Dutch music and a brother who liked Sting. Not much of a good start... A neighbour was into Dire Straits and Queen, which was a bit more rock 'n roll...

The first time I really saw the light (and it really felt like that!) was when I saw The Blues Brothers as a youngster. Even when I wasn't a bassist yet, I loved Duck Dunn's lines, though I hadn't a clue who it was and how important the guy was.
The second time I saw the light was when I accidently ran into The Last Waltz on tv, right in the middle of the 'We ain't paying you much, but you'll get more pussy than Frank Sinatra' part. 'Quite interesting'I thought and I watched the movie.

It was only some years ago I realized all the music I like is soul based. The Who, The Jam, The Band, The Small Faces, Paul Weller, The Stone Roses, Primal Scream, STAX and a Dutch guy named Herman Brood. I also discovered they accidently (sometimes...) did a lot of the same covers.

Weller and Brood both did There Ain't No Love by Bobby Bland and Heatwave.
Heatwave was also done by The Who.
The Who and Brood were both into Mose Allison (which I love|).
Of course Weller did lots of Who and TSF songs...
The Band, Brood and The Who all did Don't Do It.
And so on...

A while ago I spotted a similarity between 'Love Spreads' by The Stone Roses and B Movie Box Car Blues as performed by the Blues Brothers on their first cd, before the movie.

Back to the point: I don't know if the Blues Brothers started my love of soul or it was already in me, bu that movie meant a lot to me!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »
do you remember the moment you discovered RocknRoll ? i do. i remember being a little kid and going through my fathers records.i found the one with the coolest cover.Black Sabbath "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" it's been down hill ever since

No such luck for us oldies. I think I must have been about 4, my mother was in the kitchen and I'd been left in the dining room with the radio on. It was "Woman's Hour", a BBC magazine show aimed at middle class housewives, and an item came on about Rock'n'Roll. From what little I remember it was pitched at explaining this strange craze to mothers who found their teenager's obsession with it utterly bewildering. For some reason I just remembered the name. Years later, when I started buying records by The Shadows, singles covers were paper and just different colours depending on the record company, and LP covers just had boring photos of the group. The first interesting cover I bought was Cream's Disraeli Gears.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:01 AM »

I remember the first time I heard "Rock Around The Clock" -- when it was first released.  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
My inauguration to real rock music was Alice Cooper's School's Out and Hawkwind's Silver Machine. Both tracks had me stunned. It was music from another world that immediately fascinated me.

Uwe 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
I vaguely remember seeing cinema posters with pictures of Bill Haley on.