Author Topic: 20/20 on Ebay No reserve  (Read 12589 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: 20/20 on Ebay No reserve
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
Congrats Grog!

I was watching this auction too. But when it went over 750, I deciced not to bid.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I'd never thought I'd see the day where people would seriously go after a 20/20. But I'm gratified they do. It's a careful and detailed  overall design, not a loveless affair like some of the other Gibson 80ies basses such as Explorer and Q-80/90 or IV/V (let down by its look, not its qualities).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
George, the 20/20 owners of the world thank you for upping the value overnight.  8)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Buy high, sell low............. I guess for one insane moment, I was tired of always loosing by one bidder. I won this one by just a few bucks. Now that I'd convinced myself that i would never see another, they will be popping up everywhere. According to the tracking numbers, it should be here Saturday, if I'm home to sign for it. I'll post a picture of the pair soon after.  :thumbsup:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »
Gongrats! Now, go buy a boat! :D
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 04:01:29 AM »
Now that I'd convinced myself that i would never see another, they will be popping up everywhere

of course they will; look what they sell for!   ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 05:01:08 AM »
I'd never thought I'd see the day where people would seriously go after a 20/20. But I'm gratified they do. It's a careful and detailed  overall design, not a loveless affair like some of the other Gibson 80ies basses such as Explorer and Q-80/90 or IV/V (let down by its look, not its qualities).

It took me some time to realise I like it. It's a daring design. The headstock with the machine heads lay-out is brilliant. Doomed to fail in a conservative market.

I struck me that Grog -being a Les Paul Bass fan- obviously likes the 20/20 too. Although there might not be obvious similarities on first sight, they both are quite different to what could be found on the market when they were introduced.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:36 AM »
Gongrats! Now, go buy a boat! :D

I have a boat, it's full of lawn furnature & crap. "Oh Sole Mio"! Most of my guitars were at one time or another concidered odd. The RD's and the Low Impedance stuff is slowly coming around. The 20/20 is almost the Flying V of the bass line. The Flying V was a joke when it was introduced. But it gained popularity sooner than the 20/20 ever will. One local store owner once told me, "It would have to have three horns on it before you'd by it!"

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »
The thing I really like in 20/20 design is its upper extended horn, built for balance! Brilliant! Oh, and that 80s aura that surrunds it ofcourse.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
It has a very chunky, dare I say manly neck. Whether ole Ned was paying tribute to Gibson tradition or whether he already knew that "you have to give the neck what you taketh away from the body", I don't know, but unplugged this bass is no anemic sounding toy. The "treble/bass and not much in between" is a tribute to the times and a consequence of the electronics, not a structural issue of the bass.

If Gibson did a Ned Steinberger-catered reissue of these basses with state of the art active electronics and a midrange boost, I would unhesitatingly gladly buy one. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
Congrats! Yes, do post pics when you get it!

How many 20/20s did Gibson make?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
George, the 20/20 owners of the world thank you for upping the value overnight.  8)

Yeah, now I feel guilty for driving up the price!  ;)

Hornisse

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »
It has a very chunky, dare I say manly neck. Whether ole Ned was paying tribute to Gibson tradition or whether he already knew that "you have to give the neck what you taketh away from the body", 

The original Steinberger L2 basses had pretty manly necks as well.  They were still 1 1/2 at the nut but were very chunky.  I found them to be very comfy.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
Congrats! Yes, do post pics when you get it!

How many 20/20s did Gibson make?

About a year and a half ago, I emailed Walter Carter at Gruhn's Guitars and asked him what his guess was as to how many 20/20 were produced. His answer was that he'd only seen two, that he thought only about 12 had been produced total. I think that might be a bit low, I've run into about 8. But I'm sure there aren't many out there.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
It's got to be way more than that (no offense to Walter Carter). Considering that we see them on eBay maybe three or four times a year plus the ones owned by members here and/or at Jules' forum, it would surprise me if there were fewer than 100. After all, we're a small corner of the bass world.