Author Topic: S.D. Curlee project how much $  (Read 3541 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: S.D. Curlee project how much $
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »
Ken I bid on it but lost while chatting with my wife in the last seconds about upping my bid. Went for 5 bucks over my last bid, man I hate that.

But you didn't necessarily lose it by only $5. The winner's already-entered maximum bid could have been $100 above yours. You never know.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: S.D. Curlee project how much $
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
Keep searching, Scott, Keep searching... It's that positive thinking thing...  ;D

I remember bidding on a CDROM of all the census's from 1841 to 1891, for the Outer Hebrides in Scotland, (which was not Kosher) and got into a bidding war which took it over £100 (about $200 at the time) when I had set myself a limit of £35, and won it - first time it went up and I did not expect to see it again... but I saw it up a few more times and the person I bid against got it for under £50, but it also failed to sell for £10 - the seller did give me access to a whole lot of other genealogical debris, for free (?) though and was also quite helpful with my research...

eBay is a minefield - if you come up against 2 people wanting the same item... I sold a Zep autograph on a roadies party ticket for £368 ($700 approx at the time) because it DID NOT have Bonham, but DID have Cozy Powell and Grant, with supporting gibberish - it was a piece of card 5x3", for gawds sake - I could have sold it for much more but I closed out bids from outside the UK - turned out the buyer lived locally and I hand delivered... phew... never expected it to go for much... biggest sale I ever had...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...