Author Topic: 2018 Thunderbird - should this have passed QA?  (Read 1635 times)

Ken

• View Profile
2018 Thunderbird - should this have passed QA?
« on: August 24, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
All jokes aside about Gibson's QA, I have no idea how this was even made and then passed any sort of QA they have.  This is a left-handed 2018 that I got used.  I would never have accepted this if I got it new for the prices they were charging.  Although it plays fine and the bridge and pickups and strings all seem in-line with the neck, it looks like the bridge and pickups are off-center within the center block, so in reality it looks like there's about 1/8" more wood on the left side of the center block.  I can't imagine how this ended up like this.  I emailed Gibson late last week to ask, but haven't heard back yet.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Thunderbird - should this have passed QA?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:13:45 PM »
That's definitely not the way it's supposed to be.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
No doubt. Curious if Gibson will have anything enlightening to say about it. If they respond to my email.

Partly because of this, I decided to not change out the black hardware to nickel.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:14:46 PM »
My best guess is that something has happened when it was clamped in the routing machine's fixture. They probably route for the pickups and neck at the same time. Maybe even drilling for the bridge if using a multi tool machining centre.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:48:28 AM »
Wow, that's kinda amateurish! I'm sure it's perfectly functional. but WTH?  :o

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 06:56:09 AM »
Wow, that's kinda amateurish! I'm sure it's perfectly functional. but WTH?  :o

Exactly!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 01:19:26 PM »
The present Gibson management didn't take over until the end of 2018.

My guess is that Henry J couldn't focus on the correct location.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 01:52:02 PM »
I wonder what it was like internally during the whole bankruptcy and transition.  Maybe this is an example of that?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 04:48:45 AM »
My understanding was that the guitar division always turned a good profit , and that it was a series of unfortunate acquisitions that drove them to Chapter 11 .

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 10:00:27 PM »
My understanding was that the guitar division always turned a good profit , and that it was a series of unfortunate acquisitions that drove them to Chapter 11 .

That's true. Unfortunately there were a lot of QC problems in the guitar division. If buyer reports are to be believed, QC has improved a lot under the new ownership.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 04:05:46 AM »
   I spoke with the House of Guitars new rep and they are anxious to undo the damage caused the company.  He seemed quiet receptive  and  asked for input. He gave me his contact info,  he may come to regret it but I plan on lobbying for a two point bridge and a  Thunderbird II.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 09:36:18 AM »
   I spoke with the House of Guitars new rep and they are anxious to undo the damage caused the company.  He seemed quiet receptive  and  asked for input. He gave me his contact info,  he may come to regret it but I plan on lobbying for a two point bridge and a  Thunderbird II.

Sorry, is this rep from Gibson or HOG? If from Gibson, think he'd want to hear about my 2018? I still haven't heard back from my email Gibson.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 05:45:59 AM »
Sorry, is this rep from Gibson or HOG? If from Gibson, think he'd want to hear about my 2018? I still haven't heard back from my email Gibson.

He's talking about the Gibson rep who services HOG. You might want to PM Scott since he apparently hasn't seen your question.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 06:08:39 AM »
He's talking about the Gibson rep who services HOG. You might want to PM Scott since he apparently hasn't seen your question.

Interesting update, actually.  I still haven't heard back from any of the Gibson customer service/support, but yesterday I decided to email Jim DeCola directly, and he got back to me within a few hours!  He was just acknowledging that he received it and said he forwarded it on to the head of Customer Service and to let him know if I haven't heard from him in a few days.  What a nice guy Jim is.